[Disabled, See Update] New Experiences Have Team Create Enabled

man you guys seriously need to introduce a polls for updates section somewhere
team create should be an option, maybe enabled by default but at least an option always visible. not locked behind a setting.

I don’t understand. I frequently have friends ask me to make scratch code for them or to make small projects to put into their game, and recently my friend asked me to update their code. Because saving to RBXL is now unbound and the cloud is forced, I’m swamped with over one hundred places that I have to run through.

It took me an ungodly amount scraping through my places to find out what place was what. This was already bad enough, but being forced to use an inconsistent workflow that outright drops me from the servers if I’m in for too long (or sometimes if I’m gone for 15 minutes, is there a timer?), I’m not even allowed to have what SHOULD be a local file open anymore without first making a new place - so not only am I hogging up space on Roblox servers, but I’m also hogging up space on my own computer! Oh, but we also have local auto-recovery files, why not put that on the cloud as well?

Why are you guys forcing this down our throats? There is absolutely no reason to. People reckon it’s to prevent “unsafe content,” but most content already is stored on Roblox servers, which are moderated heavily; it can’t just be that reason. If the developers that you intend to cater to via these updates can’t even understand why you are making these decisions, you’re not catering to them.

We are not babies that force you to play a guessing game because they can’t speak. A large sum of us are coherent and mature people that have a voice that should be heard. The fact that this is not understood is deeply insulting. There are far too many bug reports and features, that have been unaddressed for literal YEARS, but instead of addressing those, you shove these bloat features that nobody, not even their mothers, nor their grandmothers, heck, not even their twice-removed cousins had asked for, right down our throats.

Now if you guys intend to revert this issue, look at what you did, not only did you guys waste the developers’ time with temporarily giving us an unnecessary workflow hurdle, but you also are wasting your own time AND money to revert this change, plus, you’re also absolutely shattering the rapport you’ve built with your developers after all these years. This all could have been avoided if there was more clear communication between those who lead development and the community of which the development concerns.

I’m not trying to subscribe to a slippery slope fallacy, but giving us unwanted features or modifications that negatively affect the pride and joy will inevitably cause damage to both the player and developer ecosystem that you’ve tried so hard to nurture for all this time. This is exactly what happened to Overwatch. No communication, one patch that absolutely nobody wanted, and then abandonment to work on a new game. And then… the game essentially died wrt players that had stuck by for a long time. Doesn’t that sound familiar, maybe with… what’s going on right now (outside of abandonment)?

9 Likes

It has been a worrying and frustrating 10 days with the majority of comments obviously in condemnation of pushing this feature and we still haven’t gotten a single staff reply or update about the decisions of this feature - whether it’s still pushing ahead, alternatives are being considered, or what. Knowing Roblox’s track record, the lack of reply translates to our feedback not having any weight at all and that this will ship. The beta is just to make sure it doesn’t break, not to take in our feedback, questions and concerns.

I don’t get why staff are so selective in what they respond to. Could we please get some signal from someone who isn’t out to do damage control and will instead just let us know what is going on? Talk with us, the ones who help drive the platform and use this tool on a frequent, maybe daily, basis.

Please.

The contents of developer replies should’ve highlighted that there is a real need to review this update and that it may be more damaging to developers and the platform than anticipated. There are several considerations that just seemed skipped, like how much cloud storage this is wasting.

Offline features benefit everyone. Those with weak internet connections, those who prototype incredibly often, the platform in not needing to devote more expenses to storage knowing how much of it is just going to waste (just because you can afford it, doesn’t mean you should do it), and so much more.

Please just say something. And no damage control. Just let us in on the why and if we can have an alternative or just not go through with this. Team Create is already there and developers should be able to clearly choose if they want it or not. No more “default is the cloud” experience, this was already pretty souring with Ctrl + S defaulting to Save to Roblox[1].

[1] I don’t use that key anymore, I manually click on Save to File now - even if I were to be able to override the keybind, muscle memory has already set in and erased a widely accepted keybind from my mind for Roblox purposes.

10 Likes

Please do not have in enabled by default. Team create can cause problems with importing animations.

Team crate should be OFF by default. This will honestly just be annoying.

2 Likes

Hi Developers,

We are rolling back our most recent update. Please find more information here: Changes to Roblox Product Development Process.

Thank you

34 Likes

Thank you for listening to us :pray:, and explaining.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, FINALLY YOU ROLLED BACK THIS UPDATE!!! I’M SO HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, ALSO PLEASE CAN YOU TELL USE WHY YOU WANTED TO DO THIS UPDATE? EVERYONE IS QUESTIONING THAT, THANKS FOR LISTENING TO OUR FEEDBACK!!!

Thanks, closing the poll

Gosh, people listen these days!

:+1:

1 Like

roblox listened to the community for once…

i liked it that way.
:frowning:
please make it the way before

uhh it forces the game to be cloud saved, which fills the data with empty baseplates that are never used again

3 Likes

I wrote a lengthier reply on the follow up, but the long and short of its relevance here: I still want to know the nature of discussion and considerations that went into trying to push this feature forward. Even if the update is gone (for now), discussion shouldn’t die down because of it. That’s how Roblox gets their free pass to silently attempt it again in the future and smack us in the back.

The only staff reply was to state that this update is rolled back and link to a thread that says the exact same thing about this update but that’s it. There’s no details, no explanation, nothing - not even on the communications that says they’ll dedicate themselves more to developer community feedback. I would like to see more in terms of a response, not just leaving out explanations because the update is gone too. Such a controversial update warrants a heartier response so we can understand the why.

9 Likes

It was a button that you could toggle as well as being a beta.

I agree with you here roblox doesn’t really ever actually end up engaging with us.
They have talked about it over a dozen times and always just eventually fall off.
There probably aren’t going to be polls for the updates, they will only actually engage with the people who make them to most money, and they will also likely not give us a way to simply request features.
I have seen many a feature request that “I will talk to the design team about” that doesn’t change anything.

2 Likes

Oh cool, they actually listened. I never liked team create anyway, as I develop solo. While we’re at it, can the servers be upgraded for once?

1 Like

Thanks for listening to us for once!

2 Likes

Definitely agree with this… Offline studio would be extremely beneficial (for me) and what I do and overall this would be an awesome feature.

Not only, it would allow for anyone to develop on the go, but Roblox isn’t going to imepment it, it’s as easy as downloading your Game…

For what it’s worth, I’m serious about wanting some communication about why Roblox felt this update was necessary given how impactful it would’ve become, and I will continue to push for communication about a rationale here until I get one. This to me was one of the worst updates in recent memory and that makes it exceptional for me to understand what was going on here.

Even if it’s been called off, there is absolutely no guarantee that it won’t come back in some form silently or more “intuitively” and a month later I can’t wrap my head around any potential reason why either. Is it simply being out of touch with the developer community and aiming to adapt technologies and practices by other tech companies or did it have anything to do with any future plans for cloud integration or what was this for?

I’m not content with a hand-waved dismissal of this feature and communication on it. Committing to improving communication with the developer community has its merits and I’m thankful for that but it doesn’t address anything about this update besides not acquiring feedback first for such a game-changer to our workflows. I still need to know the “why” here.

11 Likes