Better Chat V1 [Deprecated]

In the testing, I am pretty sure that it has already been added. When you change teams, you name color in chat changes to team color.

yes, that is in the current version, but I would like a setting to be added where it does not change the team color.

Added to all my games! 100% liking and supporting this post!

2 Likes

If this isn’t already planned, maybe add a section at the top for different channels, kind of like the tab bar (is that what it’s called?) in a browser.

1 Like

Also, it would be nice if you could create an official plugin marketplace specifically for this system. I think a Roblox plugin would work, with a google form or something where users could submit their chat plugins. Then, you could manually (or automatically) add those to the Roblox plugin. Or a website may be simpler.

TL;DR: I would love one organized place to see plugins for this chat system, like a system-specific marketplace.

2 Likes

Status update:

• As I mentioned in this post, there is a new version of the chat in development. As in new version, I mean complete rewrite of the system. It’s coming along nicely and you can check out my progress here. I’m open to feedback on the rewrite currently. I’m still adding the features the current chat has such as whispering, team chat, commands, etc before adding new features. If you do discover bugs, please let me know in a private message on here.

Notes:

• I’m all ears for anyone who has ideas for new API functionality or customization features that could be helpful in any context. I want to make it extremely easy for new developers to customize their chat to their needs and make plugins.
  • I’m still incredibly thankful for everyone who has supported this system by using it. This new version will be amazing.
  • As of 8/2/21 I’ve just now noticed how insane the amount of work I put into the current system. This will probably mean that the new system won’t be finished for a few months.
6 Likes

I tested BetterChat V2.

It seems way smoother
the UI is way better
the UX is way better

It misses a lot of cool stuff from BetterChat V1, but you are on the right track.

Also, not sure about the API as the game is not uncopy locked

1 Like

It’s not quite done yet, I still have a lot of the major features to implement to it. But, thank you! Do you have any other feedback / requests for it?

Some major features I’ll be implementing include:

• Support for StarterGui:SetCore(“ChatMakeSystemMessage”)
  • Support for the Avatar Context Menu
  • Custom DisplayNames
  • More API versatility
  • Hashtag filter replacements (replace the hashtag with something custom like asterisks, etc)
1 Like

Will the performance of V2 be faster? The current version can be quite slow with anything above 14 players.

I wasn’t actually aware of this until recently because I’ve never been able to test it with that many players. Do you know how I can get more than 20 players to test it? I have no idea where the performance issues are coming from.

I’m not really sure where you’d be able to get 20 players to test. I’m also not 100% sure where the performance issues are coming from.

This is the best thing I’ve seen on the DevForum ever since 2021 started, very underrated!!

One feature I would like to see added is Proximity chat, chat that appears only within a certain distance of another player(s).

2 Likes

Like bubble chat? I’m needing more clarification on this question.

I think what he is suggesting, just for clarification, would be:

• A setting to enable “proximity” chat
  • A setting for required distance in studs for chats to appear

Not necessarily bubble chat but messages that only appear for the players receiving the message if they are within X amount of studs of the player sending the message.

Interesting concept. Would this be like the paranormica game on Roblox (if you’ve ever played it)?

Status update again:

• The development of the new version is steady right now, and if I can keep this pace I can most likely get the newest version released for Alpha on Halloween.
  • Bubble chat has been implemented to the new system (my old one bc it looks smooth)
  • Whispering is in the early stages (going to move onto team chats next)

Trello:

• I’m going to be keeping track of the updates I need to make with this trello. You can check this out in the future to see what I have left to do before Alpha is released.

Questions

• I want to make this one more feature-filled (API and functionality in general), does anyone have any ideas for this?

P O L L S :

Would it interest you guys if I provided a site you could buy access to for like 500-1k robux that provides; chat logs and remote messages. (I’m asking this because I don’t get anything from making this system, I’m not trying to be rude which is why I’m asking for your opinon on this with the poll)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

3 Likes

What do you mean by chat logs and remote messages? How would these be sent. But, most likely I might buy it (depends off of the price).

Like, you’d buy a registration key in a game for Robux and then sign up for an account on the site using it. Then you’d be able to get an API key from the site, plug it into the settings of Better Chat and it’d keep track of chat logs on the site. Then via the site you could also send messages to all of your servers nearly instantly.

So it would be website based? If so, I am going to save my monthly robux for this.