Better Chat V1 [Deprecated]

Hm, Thats odd. The ones listed there aren’t filtered by roblox.

Updated to work natively with betterchat.

1 Like

@Jumpathy I think you should add the Toxicity Module as a main feature since it could be a second filter for toxicity. You Could edit I guess but ask @Bloxxy213_DVL Since he made the Module from the API made. Do it if you want but I highly recommend it. Here is the Reply from him if you can’t find it. Better Chat V1 [Deprecated] - #119 by Bloxxy213_DVL

1 Like

I have two primary reasons not to add this.

• Potential false detection leading to bad user experience
  • Source being obfuscated

The Module is based on Googles Perspective so it should be good at detecting this.

I can confirm that the chat’s complete rewrite and overhaul is now in progress. It’ll probably still be a while before it’s out, but give me ideas to add to the new system. I have some new primary goals:

• Maintain the same visual appearance with slight improvements
  • Add more API versatility
  • Add a lot more chat features
  • Have a more efficient and readable codebase
  • Better scaling system
  • Way less bugs

You’ll be able to check out progress here. It may be a while before an UI even appears in the game. As of June 10th, I’m working on the server side of the code currently and establishing the client’s base. I’m hoping to be able to find some developers who can help me improve the new codebase, give ideas, and even create their own things for the chat. Please, if you have any ideas don’t hesitate to reach out! I’m wanting to add a very unique experience to this new chat.

• Thank you to everyone for using this system and supporting me! <3
9 Likes

Hello! I am happy to hear this! I have seen the current channel API and I am like “Huh?” when I look at it lol.

EDIT: add a better channel API like in some Roblox games have.

For the next version of BetterChat, I have some features that I think would be amazing.

Ideas
  • Add the auto fill to the API. It would add a lot of customization to the chat system.
  • Make it work with core GUI. What I mean is that it will close the chat when the chat icon is hidden.
  • Add more customization to players. Make it so I could change my chat display name.

List item

1 Like

This is a better version of the chat that doesnt look like the old topbar so the new topbar looks better with a matching chat. I like it.

Hey! Since you seem to be well-versed with the API system can you hmu in my DevForum messages with tons of idea for new API functions? I want to make this next version even more customizable, etc. I also love your ideas, def going to do as many as I can.

1 Like

Maybe add a feature to disable the chat history (like maybe something like API.hideChathistory or API.showChathistory).

EDIT: I meant to put that into the messages.

3 Likes

An idea you could add is that when your on a team it changes the players chat color to the color of the team, My idea is that there is a setting to have it not change the players chat color when there on a team.

In the testing, I am pretty sure that it has already been added. When you change teams, you name color in chat changes to team color.

yes, that is in the current version, but I would like a setting to be added where it does not change the team color.

Added to all my games! 100% liking and supporting this post!

2 Likes

If this isn’t already planned, maybe add a section at the top for different channels, kind of like the tab bar (is that what it’s called?) in a browser.

1 Like

Also, it would be nice if you could create an official plugin marketplace specifically for this system. I think a Roblox plugin would work, with a google form or something where users could submit their chat plugins. Then, you could manually (or automatically) add those to the Roblox plugin. Or a website may be simpler.

TL;DR: I would love one organized place to see plugins for this chat system, like a system-specific marketplace.

2 Likes

Status update:

• As I mentioned in this post, there is a new version of the chat in development. As in new version, I mean complete rewrite of the system. It’s coming along nicely and you can check out my progress here. I’m open to feedback on the rewrite currently. I’m still adding the features the current chat has such as whispering, team chat, commands, etc before adding new features. If you do discover bugs, please let me know in a private message on here.

Notes:

• I’m all ears for anyone who has ideas for new API functionality or customization features that could be helpful in any context. I want to make it extremely easy for new developers to customize their chat to their needs and make plugins.
  • I’m still incredibly thankful for everyone who has supported this system by using it. This new version will be amazing.
  • As of 8/2/21 I’ve just now noticed how insane the amount of work I put into the current system. This will probably mean that the new system won’t be finished for a few months.
6 Likes

I tested BetterChat V2.

It seems way smoother
the UI is way better
the UX is way better

It misses a lot of cool stuff from BetterChat V1, but you are on the right track.

Also, not sure about the API as the game is not uncopy locked

1 Like

It’s not quite done yet, I still have a lot of the major features to implement to it. But, thank you! Do you have any other feedback / requests for it?

Some major features I’ll be implementing include:

• Support for StarterGui:SetCore(“ChatMakeSystemMessage”)
  • Support for the Avatar Context Menu
  • Custom DisplayNames
  • More API versatility
  • Hashtag filter replacements (replace the hashtag with something custom like asterisks, etc)
1 Like