Better Chat V1 [Deprecated]

I’m not really sure where you’d be able to get 20 players to test. I’m also not 100% sure where the performance issues are coming from.

This is the best thing I’ve seen on the DevForum ever since 2021 started, very underrated!!

One feature I would like to see added is Proximity chat, chat that appears only within a certain distance of another player(s).

2 Likes

Like bubble chat? I’m needing more clarification on this question.

I think what he is suggesting, just for clarification, would be:

• A setting to enable “proximity” chat
  • A setting for required distance in studs for chats to appear

Not necessarily bubble chat but messages that only appear for the players receiving the message if they are within X amount of studs of the player sending the message.

Interesting concept. Would this be like the paranormica game on Roblox (if you’ve ever played it)?

Status update again:

• The development of the new version is steady right now, and if I can keep this pace I can most likely get the newest version released for Alpha on Halloween.
  • Bubble chat has been implemented to the new system (my old one bc it looks smooth)
  • Whispering is in the early stages (going to move onto team chats next)

Trello:

• I’m going to be keeping track of the updates I need to make with this trello. You can check this out in the future to see what I have left to do before Alpha is released.

Questions

• I want to make this one more feature-filled (API and functionality in general), does anyone have any ideas for this?

P O L L S :

Would it interest you guys if I provided a site you could buy access to for like 500-1k robux that provides; chat logs and remote messages. (I’m asking this because I don’t get anything from making this system, I’m not trying to be rude which is why I’m asking for your opinon on this with the poll)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

3 Likes

What do you mean by chat logs and remote messages? How would these be sent. But, most likely I might buy it (depends off of the price).

Like, you’d buy a registration key in a game for Robux and then sign up for an account on the site using it. Then you’d be able to get an API key from the site, plug it into the settings of Better Chat and it’d keep track of chat logs on the site. Then via the site you could also send messages to all of your servers nearly instantly.

So it would be website based? If so, I am going to save my monthly robux for this.

Most likely, but I don’t know if I have the time to have them both released at the same time.

Hey do you know why messages bug out sometimes doesn’t even show as a message.

1 Like

Can I ask?
Is there a ‘Team Chat’ on this Chat System?
If so, how to enable it?

You should add some more features like team mentioning, emojis support like :happy:
: flushed:
and also Shift + Enter for multi-line (Multi line support)
And, autofill for user/team mentions.
:smiley:

Do you have a consistent way to reproduce this? It might be todo with Roblox’s filter.

I don’t actually remember, if it does exist you should be able to do /t

We do have those! I need to add more though.

1 Like

First, this chat module is great. Thank you for contributing to the community with this amazing module.

However, I would like to provide some suggestions to the styling.

First, the margin between the chat & top bar buttons should be the same. Right now it’s ~3px, when it should be ~16 px. The left side of the chat should also line up with the left side of the top bar buttons. Right now, it’s ~7 px to the right.

Second, the bottom of the chat (textbox & resize button) should have the same amount of margin on the left, right, and bottom. Right now, all of those values vary (left: 11 px, right: 6 px, bottom: 7 px). I suggest a margin value of 12 px for all of these values.

Thanks for reading & I hope you take this design suggestion into consideration!

5 Likes

unknown

How did you measure that? Is there a tool or did you manually do that? Check out the new version I’m working on, it should look better. I very much appreciate your feedback, you’re a cool developer as well!

The first time I didn’t get notified, and the second time when I remembered the entire DevForum website went down before I could reply to you.

I think one of the reasons my scaling had a lot of problems is because it didn’t use offset specifically. My new version shifts more towards offset for scaling and set platform base sizes to provide a more consistent experience.

2 Likes

I put both things in ServerScriptService and it isn’t working.

Edit: I also made sure LoadDefaultChat was disabled

Did any errors happen to occur?