Better Chat V3 | Custom chat with replies, rich text, message editing, and more!

WHere… am i supposed to actually put the module?

Is it possible to use colored unicode characters somehow? stuff like ( Lime / ++ ) doesn’t actually show “++” in the Lime brickcolor, but instead shows the original text ( ( Lime / ++ ) ).

Also @Jumpathy, sorry for the mention, but this is extremely important and since no one is looking at the post anymore i should probably let you know about this:

im pretty sure the server api is broken :P.

Me and @1DiamondBor were able to solve the problem. It looks like there is a bug in the code that wraps the tables. If anyone else is having problems you can fix the bug by changing line 36 of the main module to:

local wrap = function(a) return a end -- Instead of wrapping and returning it just skips wrapping.

This change disables the wrapper function which wraps some of the objects with meta tables so different casing can be used. (The wrapper function appears to not be functioning properly.) This change forces your code to use the regular casing though. So, for example, only Connect will work, not CONNECT or connect.

More details here:

3 Likes

hi, do you have the source code for the autofill / where it’s located in the module i’m having trouble finding it.

Adding onto this, it appears environemnt.apis is not immediately available when doing client plugins, so you do have to wait a little bit before plugins can run their code.

1 Like

Honestly just considering taking this on and extending the project at this point.

Currently encountering two issues:

• bubble chat loves to eat up resources with the RichText and UICorners in the BillboardGuis. Looking at performance in the profiler it’s causing the UpdateUILayouts bar to explode immensely.
  • switching between channels that have large histories cause people to lose a good chunk of frames as it clears the textlabels and re-spawns them
1 Like

The developer of this (Jumpathy) hasn’t logged on to Roblox for 6 months now, and I don’t think the first thing he’s gonna do when he gets back is start working on BetterChat.

If you need a temporary alternative to BetterChat while its development is inactive, try SocialChat by Cosmental. (which is also getting a complete revamp really soon)

Thanks for the support!! I don’t think I’ll be working on the chat for a while I have a lot to catch up with on my day to day life. As of now I’m discontinuing the chat until I can resume development. Anyone who would like to pick it up feel free to.

• Jumpathy
1 Like

Is this compatible with TextChatService?

It is not compatible with TextChatService because this is a custom chat system.

After trying to set this up I noticed that I can’t find the chat class anywhere in studio. Chat | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

From what I can see it seems like the chat class is deprecated now so setting this up is no longer possible.

I experimented and found that I had to:

1. In the new TextChatService set the ChatVersion to Legacy
  2. Insert the old Chat service through Model > Advanced > Service
  3. Turn off LoadDefaultChat

Which is really annoying and not at all convenient like I had originally intended for the system to be. :frowning:

1 Like

I hope you will continue to update better chat, because it’s really useful comparing to what people has as toolbox…

2 Likes

I just don’t plan on it because it’s so much work to maintain and I have a lot to do in my day-to-day life from school to a job to socializing, etc. I may come back to it one day, it’s just not going to be soon.

Model link is broken, does anbody have the link?

1 Like

Update

• Added new topbar functionality
  • Fixed bubble chat bug
  • Fixed it not working in studio w/o turning on studio access API services

I hope you guys enjoy the chat system! <3

3 Likes

thank you! it’s great to see you updated it as it still seems like the best custom chat system out there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have any feature requests?

@Jumpathy
HOW did i just learn about this!?! none of my games are public rn but im going to implement this as soon as possible!

this is a wonderful example of what the devforum is for, devs giving to devs.
Thank you so much for spending your own time and money on this!
Happy New Year!

1 Like

One thing I was looking at was the ability to add image based tags as well rather than just text tags, as multiple text tags tend to take up a lot of space to communicate roles of a player.

1 Like