Better Chat V3 | Custom chat with replies, rich text, message editing, and more!

This is really cool! I wanted to use this, but here’s some of my issues with it:

• When setting the SettingsMenu Enabled to false, bubble chat appears to break entirely.
  • I personally dislike that I can’t use % or /t to go into teamchat.
  • When you use an emoji, there’s a couple weird spaces when you press tab to autofill. Looks weird to the point of being annoying. Not sure if this also happens when using autofill in general- didn’t test this.
  • I personally dislike that the bubble chat has square corners instead of rounded corners like the default roblox bubble chat. Maybe make this a toggable option for those that prefer the square corners?
  • For some reason, I had two team chat tabs. May be an issue with deleting old team tabs when you change team.

Otherwise, keep up the good work. If these issues are resolved, I might actually use this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whoops, I think I know what’s going on here. I’ll add this to my todo list.

Does ‘/t’ not work? I made it a command and it worked for me. Maybe try ‘/t’ and then add a space?

Can you get some screenshots / videos of this? I’m a bit busy right now and can’t test all of these immediately.

It’s not 100% square, just slightly rounded, but it is actually in the settings I believe.

Ooh, I’ll check that out in a bit. Intrigued on the cause of that.

2 Likes

Status update:

Adding more cases to the API

Not everyone writes their code the same, and for API developers I want this to be clean, and this code is an example of what I’m working on making work now.

return function(api)
	api:SYSTEM_MESSAGE("Hi 1")
	api:system_message("Hi 2")
	api:systemMessage("Hi 3")
	api:SystemMessage("Hi 4")
end

Default bubble chat config

Adding config options to move to the default bubble chat for those who dislike my bubble chat

Planned
  • Polls

I’ll be adding the ability to create polls in the chat (can be toggleable and only for admins), this could be used to get feedback or things like that.

• Friend-only chat

I’ll also be adding the option for a friend-only channel. I’m yet to figure out how this’ll work but I think it’d be cool!

PM me any feature requests, I have a lot of features that I want to implement for the next update.

1 Like

Hello,
Do you think it’s possible to separate the Better Chat API from the module? The UI looks fantastic, but sometimes, I need to make a UI that matches the game’s theme more.
Ex: The interface is a module that uses the API.

Pls add gradient and animation to bubble chat that roblox has done

I’m pretty sure that you can use a function that might be in social service or players, although not sure where it’s located :sweat_smile:. Either way it gets all your friends and puts them in pages.

What I meant is like how do I make the channels work? Like I’m trying to see if I’m supposed to make a channel for each player or have one player create it and if their friends join then they’ll be put in the channel but idek

Maybe I’ll just make it an option in the chat itself and make sure only your messages replicate to your friends?

1 Like

If the other option is not available then definitely go for this idea!

wow!! this looks amazing thank you for making this

1 Like

I’m going to take a break from this project for a few weeks for my mental health. I have a lot of stuff going on with school and this is a lot to balance for me right now. I want my updates to be quality and not made from me being deprived. I may fix small bugs during this time period but that’s not guaranteed.

7 Likes

take all the time you need, mental health is the most important thing to look after.

hope you enjoy your break :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see you doing your mental break, well, you dont have to answare until you back, i just like to suggest Tag support for gamepasses.

Would be really nice!!!

Have a great Day mate!

2 Likes

Misc update

• Needed this function for my game and wanted to announce it’s simple function.

Added:

player:SetAttribute("RefreshColors",true)

To refresh the player’s name colors if you decide to update them.

(Still taking a break in general from the system though)

4 Likes

Perhaps add a feature which allows a user to mute/unmute members that belong in a specific team. Every member that gets added/removed in team will be updated accordingly in the case where a team is muted. I’ve had to fork the entire system to make this possible in V2. Would be nice if it was a built in feature.

I haven’t tried V3 yet, so I’m not sure if this feature is available now. It would be nice if there was a sound that plays when you ping/mention someone. Maybe, a setting option for this would be great. Players can choose to either disable the ping sounds or even change what the sound is.

1 Like

I added a ‘Muted’ attribute, I’m not sure if that’s what you’re looking for though. Example:

for _,player in pairs(...) do --> (imagine this is a team LOL)
    player:SetAttribute("Muted",true)
end
3 Likes

Is it working with our chat command the one that we make before with player chatted?

Yes, it should fire the Chatted event.

1 Like

Perhaps you could make a system where you could add the container to a GUI you already have made in the case you might want to have it within only a certain zone? Or like a clamped area you can size it to might work better than that. Don’t know if this makes sense at all.

Thank you for releasing this! I am 100% using this in a new client I am making!

2 Likes

Could I add like an option to settings like

MaxSize = UDim2.fromOffset(200,500)

Is that what you mean? Only allow it to go in a certain bounds or do you want it to be updated live in-game?

1 Like