Better Chat V3 | Custom chat with replies, rich text, message editing, and more!

Yea that’s what I meant, sorry if it bothered you

2 Likes

@RuizuKun_Dev did you ever refactor this into GitHub? If so, could you link it and it possibly be put on the original post by Jumpathy? Would be pretty nice for people doing a Rojo workflow!

Do this module support gradient bubble chat with typing ui?

No, if you look in the configuration you will notice that it doesn’t accept any ColorSequences and only Color3. No gradients are used within the exposed config.

2 Likes

for some reason it doesn’t work for me, and i got this little message here

granted i was aggresively changing the service names for no reason but i checked the source code, no game.(service name), so why does this happen?

ignore the hotbar at the background btw

Then pls add the features supported by roblox like animation and gradient

1 Like

Sure, why not. What do you mean by animation, like do you want like live-updating or a static gradient for that?

He did, but I don’t know how to receive ownership of the GitHub. I need to restructure some of the model in order to make it more workable for transfer to GitHub and things like that.

But here’s what he got:
Better-Chat-V3-main.zip (776.4 KB)

No worries! I may set that as a base, but the chat box will have to go beyond those bounds if it goes to a new line or something unless I disable TextWrapped.

1 Like

just wondering, where does the chat go?

It was a feature released which is like when works when chat bubble appear or if camera goes away from visible distance. Try to find it in dev hub

Hello, I Am Getting A Networking Error Where If I Were To Try And Type Anything And Send It Through The Chat System, It Returns An Error Of Not Being Able To Get The First Object Of The Table (name).
Path From MainModule: MainModule.Shared.Network (Line 47 - 49) I’ve Only Changed One Line Of Source Code And Have Only Added One Table To The Configs That I Do Not Believe Are Interfering At All, But It Only Errors If I Use My Changed Version Of It

The next update will be worth it’s while, sorry for the delays! I’m planning on adding polls to the chat (I’ll credit the guy who suggested it but I’m on mobile so I can’t find it quickly right now). This would be like a “/poll” command or people with access have a button next to the chat bar to create it and then it’ll bring up a menu within the chat to create it and it’d have some options.

I may also reintroduce the concept of group chats if I can, and maybe in the distant future have them work globally. That’s why they originally failed, I couldn’t get the global messaging to work and it collapsed on itself and I didn’t have the energy to rewrite it.

The next update will also include GitHub releases and everything, make sure to have a fantastic day everyone! The donations I’ve received on the chat and the polls saying people would use it mean so much to me, you truly don’t understand.

Are you ready for these?!
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

after tinkering with the game a bit, (deleting my ridiculously low effort anti-cheat and service name changer and straight up not changing anything), i can say for certain i am still clueless as to how this happens

edit: this isn’t really related to my problem, but /me is slightly broken (hover to see username turns a /me message to a message with all italics)

edit 2: nvm, i see why it happens now: me being room temperature iq

I actually have the idea of “sticky messages” like seen in Twitch/YouTube livestream chats. Allow a message to always be visible and this would include the ability to unstick it, obviously.

There’s two approaches I can consider:

• Sticking a system message via code allowing a message to be stuck for the entire game.
  • A button per-message allowing you to make it sticky.

Another thing I would like considered is IF sticky messages should be per-server or throughout the entire game (i.e. MessagingService)

1 Like

Would admins stick them to the chat or users? Like how do you want that to work?

Admins+, the idea of this comes from YouTube’s and Twitches stream sticky/pinned messages:
Two of the first examples I could find on this, first being Twitch second being YouTube.

1 Like

Status update

Working on the poll creation menu right now, and I’ll probably be grinding for a few hours to make this update possible.

Preview

(edit edit):

Edit: Going to bed now, made the poll ui work and it returns a table with data. I’ll make it actually pool into the chat later. I’ve also finished restructuring the chat modules to be able to be ported to GitHub significantly easier and added a ton of small changes. Good night everyone!

Edit in the morning: God this chat is so over-engineered LOL like I’m pretty sure it now has more code than some games

4 Likes

Can you make Better Chat V3 so it works with Adonis?

1 Like

Imo making support would be pretty impractical. HD Admin is a more widely popularized admin suite; however, due to HD Admin actually being a support addon: you can probably do this yourself by understanding addon formatting and how Adonis would hook into it. AKA: Read the code of the HD Admin Support and how it branches HD Admin and Better Chat V3 and understand why it works to make your own Adonis support.

3 Likes

Hello, I’m noticing that system messages (from a client plugin) don’t support rich text formatting. Is it possible to add this? I believe this was a feature in BC V1, as I’m trying to change the color of my Admin System’s system messages. If you can help out with this, that would be greatly appreciated. On another note, I’m having issues with non-brickColor based text coloring, as it seems that using hex or RGB values won’t quite work. If I’m simply formatting it wrong, let me know. (#92fe8a / Test) / (0,255,0 / Test) don’t appear to work as intended for me.

(Ex: api:systemMessage("(Lime green / *[AstralOS Admin Suite]: Welcome, "..name.."!*)") isn’t coloring the text nor italicizing it. It works fine when a player says it.)

1 Like

Does it not work? (like what features are you looking for?)

Interesting, they seem to work for me. How are you testing this?

Whoops, that was an oversight on my behalf. They’re never formatted, and I’ll be sure to ship that fix in the next update because it’s very easy to implement. Thanks!

1 Like