Better Chat V3 | Custom chat with replies, rich text, message editing, and more!

Seems that the hex/rgb color coding now works fine on my end. Must have been an issue with the way I typed it initially! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes this chat looks really good especially with all the features Iā€™ll try it out myself!

1 Like

Is it possible to make a setting specifically for RichText coloring? Iā€™m fine with regular members using RichText - but not so fine with them being able to mess with message colors.

1 Like

Not currently, I might just need to detach that part of the rich-text module which I donā€™t know how to approach that currently but Iā€™ll figure it out. I really like that idea though!

1 Like

Like add auto fill for Adonis commands like you did with HD Admin so it can auto suggest commands for you.

1 Like

BC has become a staple within my games. Itā€™s an elegant replacement to robloxā€™s current chat system. It offers much more with the rich text features, emojis, and soon to have more features. (Something Roblox lacks severely. Itā€™s been 10 years and no innovations.)

I highly recommend this tool. With itā€™s feature-set, Itā€™s a great asset to any developerā€™s toolkit.

1 Like

Thank you! Do you have any feature requests for the chat system?

1 Like

For how active you are on this resource Iā€™m surprised how not-burnt out you are! Remember to take breaks

2 Likes

Honestly, I am a bit burnt out. But, I think Iā€™ll give myself a break away from this system once I finish the next update (which should add a ton of dope features). Itā€™s like a whole dilemma, I really want to devote all this time to creating the system, but I donā€™t always have the energy for it.

3 Likes

thanks for this incredible resourceā€¦perhaps this is a stupid question, but how would one change the key used to initiate chat?

I dug into the code for you, it seems like the function of opening/closing the menu is strictly linked to a core function called ā€œSpecialKeyPressedā€ and ā€œChatBarFocusChangedā€.
[MainModule.client.modules.core.connections]
[MainModule.client.modules.core.chat.chatbar]

However, if you enable the development flag, you can add the following:

-- MainModule.client.modules.core.chat.chatbar
-- line 444

local isOpened = false
local focusChatbar = function(state)
    if(environment.main_ui.Visible) then
        if(typeof(state) == "EnumItem") then
            state = true
        end
        if(state) then
            isOpened = true
            chatbox:CaptureFocus()
        else
            isOpened = false
            chatbox:ReleaseFocus()
        end
    end
end

userInput.InputBegan:Connect(function(input, processed)
    if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.T and not processed then
        isOpened = not isOpened
        focusChatbar(isOpened)
    end
end)

--connections:Connect("ChatWindow","SpecialKeyPressed",focusChatbar)
connections:Connect("ChatWindow","ChatBarFocusChanged",focusChatbar)

return chatbar

and, modifying the loader to be:

local inDevelopment = true
1 Like

Hey, this is a wonderful chat system. There are lots of customizations that you can choose from to fit your gameā€™s criteria. It is also an upgraded version of the default chat which I really love! It also does everything for ya, you just need to customize it to your liking.

There are so many things about this that are better than the default built-in chat.
As said, it uses a completely new UI made from scratch, and the code is up to date. Not to mention how many features there are in this system. It even supports mobile and is mobile-friendly! And the fact that it has Localization and Rich Text Formattingmakes it even better! Oh, and thanks for also including documentation which helps us add more possibilities to the system without having to interfere with the main code. I donā€™t have anything else to say, other than a compliment and a thank-you.

Kudos to you and those who are affiliated with the making of this.
Without this system, we would be stuck with the default chat with fewer and lesser customizations (there are other chat systems, but Iā€™m only referring to this chat with the default chat).
Though itā€™s possible to implement those things, itā€™s still better to use this rather than having to implement it on your own as Jumpathy here worked very hard on it and we need to at least show some support and respect. It finally paid off after many months and thousands of lines of code. I also forgot to mention, that there were previous versions of Better Chat, you did a good job on those also, just that this current version is just so much better and is your best creation ever. And hey, if youā€™re out there looking for a custom chat with a variety of customizations, then I recommend and vouch to use this. Itā€™s highly customizable and is fairly easy to work with. By using it, just know that youā€™re also supporting its development, and the creator, Jumpathy for all the hard work. I will be using this for one of my projects/games. Thanks a lot!

Sincerely,
Thanks, by yours truly.

1 Like

Do you plan on adding chat tags such as [Developer] the way it is in the default chat where you can control the color of the tag and the speaker name separately, Iā€™ve tried just having something like
player:SetAttribute(ā€œDisplayNameā€,"["ā€¦TagTextā€¦"] "ā€¦player.Name) but it just doesnā€™t have the same effect as when you could control the tag color

@Manachron

1 Like

Make so that you can select which admin comamnds would show up in the chat.
Like we know so many Admin Models that I canā€™t count them anymore.
But I would like if you could add another setting where you can select which admin commands to see, like HD, Adonis, Basic and ecc.

I think what youā€™re talking about is already implemented. Just hasnā€™t been given support for other admin systems minus HD Admin: which you could take a go at making yourself.

Unless you mean like, in HD Admin for example, to not show the help command in autofill, which would just be a override to the HD Admin Plugin Support model.

i mean like this
the speakersetextradata thing with the default chat script (not needing the gradient that was just the best image I could find on google)

Do you think you could make it easier to make new channels?

I was wanting to have a roleplaying channel, one that specifically uses the /me roleplay text without having to do the command every time, but I donā€™t script so the explanation for how to make a new channel is very confusing for me :,) Having an option in settings for the owner to manage channels would be very useful. Options such as like ā€œroleplay text onlyā€ or ā€œdisable all speakersā€ would be neat!

This looks amazing though!!! I cant wait to use it!

1 Like

What can I even say, this is insane! Over 5 months of hard work and 10K lines of code! This will improve chat a lot. Players can easily understand whom they are talking to, they can reply to people too! And the formatting will also be cool for getting attention. The mention system and the profile icon, tap display name to see username is just speechless! I donā€™t like HD Admin actually, I only donā€™t like it when it creates additional UIā€™s for HD Admin commands. But thatā€™s okay. Last thing I want to say -

Do I need to give credits to you for the chat system?

1 Like

Good thing HD Admin is an optional addon and isnā€™t baked into Better Chat V3 by default!

1 Like