Better Indoor Reflections - Live for Future Lighting

This is epic. This is something we should have had a while ago, but its fine.

2 Likes

You can forget using reflective dynamic objects entirely with this feature. I thought it would be interesting for weapon models where accurate reflections aren’t required, but god is this bad. First of all, there is a delay between updates where the skybox is visible, making rooms with dark floors or ceilings and bright skyboxes look horrible. Next up, the updates are extremely slow. I understand that performance is a concern, but this feature is entirely useless for anything but static showcases. Finally, the system actually managed to confuse itself. Instead of loading a new cubemap, it keeps fading the same one in and out.

38 Likes

Glad to see this finally added!

3 Likes

Although this feature is very nice and allows for greater realism, there needs to be a way to disable it without setting specular to 0. Some people may not want the indoor reflections while keeping pbr rendering and specular highlight.

18 Likes

Roblox is developing fast! :fast_forward:

Thanks to the staff who brought all these updates! :smile:

It’s great to have this feature.

7 Likes

As much as I appreciate the amount of effort put into rolling this out, it’s nowhere near what anyone would want/expect from such a particular feature.

What if someone wants to use Lighting.EnvironmentSpecularScale = 1 but at the same time have the Indoor reflection probing disabled?
Not allowing us to remotely toggle reflection probing will drastically limit our abilities when it comes to reflections, Indoor reflections will simply NOT fit into some visual styles of games.
I know that adding a check box ‘Reflection Probing’ property to the Lighting would not be a difficult thing to do.

Please hear us out and allow creators to disable/enable reflection probing.

Let us place the probing origins manually and not rely solely on automation, as we all know it’s not and will not be perfect.
Your argument towards a requested ability to place probing origins manually was that 'You only want to include in the engine instances that represent real-life objects. ', that is a terrible excuse and definitely not an acceptable one.
If there is a real reason why you don’t want us to allow to place them manually please let us know, we will accept it once we know that there is a real struggle that will come with attempting to implement it.

Following the said argument will limit the possibilities of the Roblox engine and I know that all of us want to develop it extensively.

Thank you for trying to make Roblox a better and more advanced utility but limiting our possibilities will not result in positive feedback from the community.

30 Likes

I’m really like this new IBL update so far! Can’t wait to see more improvement of it!

73 Likes

i hate to be that person but these probes look horrible. How is the gas pump not reflected if its right in front of it? I’m not asking for screenspace but like this sucks. I wish we could choose where the reflections are based.

i can literally see the object in the reflection!? granted it looks a little bit better on things like spheres but it looks horrible still.

6 Likes

DUDE OH MY GOD I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR REFLECTIONS FOREVER! PRAISE ROBLOX THANK YOU! seriously though this is gonna be a game changer for roblox’s appearance as a whole, hyped for the games that will come out of this

5 Likes

Finally, I was complaining about how metal always showed the sky a few weeks back and it will finally show something else.

3 Likes

Global Illumination just got better. Pretty cool.

2 Likes

Keyword, Indoor

The Environmental Reflections were made specifically for indoor. I’m pretty sure they will make them outdoor sometime.

8 Likes

You asked us for our feedback.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/indoor-dynamic-environment-map-feedback/1137835/4

We told you that it was a really bad idea and you still implemented it.

You go out and plan to give 500k to outsider teams while you have a nearly unusable technology, an extremely bad rendering engine and without even the 1% of the control that even the worst game engines have. You refuse to fix bugs that has been there for years but work on a feature that no one asked for and complained exclusively about it, and told you not to implement it like this but you still did. This is completely unprofessional and just shows that you do not listen to the developers who use your platform, the users that make you the money.

42 Likes

Cool! Can we have the option to disable it regardless of what Lighting.EnvironmentSpecularScale is set to? That would be nice.

5 Likes

Im not sure how im supposed to do the “Surface appearance” Without a mesh part.

Anyways, also did the same thing (Ambient, Lightening etc.) But It Shows up as:

Its not the one I was trying to make but. I guess this feature is cool & all.

3 Likes

Hardware based performance

A lot of people are irritated that performance of their device is held back to cater to mobile/low end players/devs, What if roblox had the ability to adapt its graphics based on hardware (It already does this somewhat through the “Graphics quality” setting in the client. Adding an advanced section to the settings would allow players to optimize their game themselves or allow developers to access an api to control graphics on the client for their specific game. This is the perfect conversation for this as scrolling through you can see complaints.

Mobile

Staff can tag specific devices (Recent Galaxys, Iphones, Tablets, (google) Pixels, Oneplus devices, ETC)

Example for mobile:
Default, 1/3 resolution, 5 second update speed (un-tagged devices)
“Mid end” devices, 1/2 resolution, 3.5 second update speed
“High end” devices, 1/2 resolution, 2 second update speed

PC

The pc/console client can decide performance based on the specs of the device (Cpu info, Gpu info, memory, etc) Rather than models (Way to many popular models for tagging to be viable on PC)

Examples for pc:
“Legacy/Really low end”, 1/3 resolution, 10 second update speed (example 2ghz cpu + gt 1030 + 4gb ram)
“Low end” , 1/3 resolution 4 second update speed (example 3ghz cpu + rx 480 + 8gb ram)
“Mid Tier” 1/2 resolution, 2 second update speed (example 4ghz cpu + gtx 1660 + 8gb ram)
“High end” 1/1 resolution, 2 second update speed (example 4.5ghx cpu + rtx 2080 + 16gb ram)
“Really High end” 1/1 resolution, 1 second update speed (Example 5ghz cpu + rtx 3090 + 32gb ram)

Quick edit/note : This is just using this update as an example, The “Graphical API” update im proposing would include all/most current graphics settings (water, Terrain LOD, Lighting features, Particles, etc)

10 Likes

I can agree, Im heavily considering moving to unity, core or a newer engine called “Flax”

5 Likes

The industry is far less forgiving outside of Roblox if you’re an indie developer of any kind. I wouldn’t advise doing so and would rather work with Roblox despite it’s issues.

5 Likes

Crazy good update! Really excited to try this out!

4 Likes

For anyone who would like a way to toggle the effect, turning off globalshadows disables the reflections.

I do agree that we should have a dedicated toggle button though.

7 Likes