Better Indoor Reflections - Live for Future Lighting

i hate to be that person but these probes look horrible. How is the gas pump not reflected if its right in front of it? I’m not asking for screenspace but like this sucks. I wish we could choose where the reflections are based.

i can literally see the object in the reflection!? granted it looks a little bit better on things like spheres but it looks horrible still.

6 Likes

DUDE OH MY GOD I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR REFLECTIONS FOREVER! PRAISE ROBLOX THANK YOU! seriously though this is gonna be a game changer for roblox’s appearance as a whole, hyped for the games that will come out of this

5 Likes

Finally, I was complaining about how metal always showed the sky a few weeks back and it will finally show something else.

3 Likes

Global Illumination just got better. Pretty cool.

2 Likes

Keyword, Indoor

The Environmental Reflections were made specifically for indoor. I’m pretty sure they will make them outdoor sometime.

8 Likes

You asked us for our feedback.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/indoor-dynamic-environment-map-feedback/1137835/4

We told you that it was a really bad idea and you still implemented it.

You go out and plan to give 500k to outsider teams while you have a nearly unusable technology, an extremely bad rendering engine and without even the 1% of the control that even the worst game engines have. You refuse to fix bugs that has been there for years but work on a feature that no one asked for and complained exclusively about it, and told you not to implement it like this but you still did. This is completely unprofessional and just shows that you do not listen to the developers who use your platform, the users that make you the money.

42 Likes

Cool! Can we have the option to disable it regardless of what Lighting.EnvironmentSpecularScale is set to? That would be nice.

5 Likes

Im not sure how im supposed to do the “Surface appearance” Without a mesh part.

Anyways, also did the same thing (Ambient, Lightening etc.) But It Shows up as:

Its not the one I was trying to make but. I guess this feature is cool & all.

3 Likes

Hardware based performance

A lot of people are irritated that performance of their device is held back to cater to mobile/low end players/devs, What if roblox had the ability to adapt its graphics based on hardware (It already does this somewhat through the “Graphics quality” setting in the client. Adding an advanced section to the settings would allow players to optimize their game themselves or allow developers to access an api to control graphics on the client for their specific game. This is the perfect conversation for this as scrolling through you can see complaints.

Mobile

Staff can tag specific devices (Recent Galaxys, Iphones, Tablets, (google) Pixels, Oneplus devices, ETC)

Example for mobile:
Default, 1/3 resolution, 5 second update speed (un-tagged devices)
“Mid end” devices, 1/2 resolution, 3.5 second update speed
“High end” devices, 1/2 resolution, 2 second update speed

PC

The pc/console client can decide performance based on the specs of the device (Cpu info, Gpu info, memory, etc) Rather than models (Way to many popular models for tagging to be viable on PC)

Examples for pc:
“Legacy/Really low end”, 1/3 resolution, 10 second update speed (example 2ghz cpu + gt 1030 + 4gb ram)
“Low end” , 1/3 resolution 4 second update speed (example 3ghz cpu + rx 480 + 8gb ram)
“Mid Tier” 1/2 resolution, 2 second update speed (example 4ghz cpu + gtx 1660 + 8gb ram)
“High end” 1/1 resolution, 2 second update speed (example 4.5ghx cpu + rtx 2080 + 16gb ram)
“Really High end” 1/1 resolution, 1 second update speed (Example 5ghz cpu + rtx 3090 + 32gb ram)

Quick edit/note : This is just using this update as an example, The “Graphical API” update im proposing would include all/most current graphics settings (water, Terrain LOD, Lighting features, Particles, etc)

10 Likes

I can agree, Im heavily considering moving to unity, core or a newer engine called “Flax”

5 Likes

The industry is far less forgiving outside of Roblox if you’re an indie developer of any kind. I wouldn’t advise doing so and would rather work with Roblox despite it’s issues.

5 Likes

Crazy good update! Really excited to try this out!

4 Likes

For anyone who would like a way to toggle the effect, turning off globalshadows disables the reflections.

I do agree that we should have a dedicated toggle button though.

7 Likes

I don’t know if you silently released this on public servers a while ago. I even took some screenshots too. ??

3 Likes

Forgive me if I’m just being slow, but what are the key changes since the last Indoor Dynamic Environment Map release? I’m trying to test this feature in Studio and I can’t say I see any significant improvements, unless this is just the latest announcement for IDEM’s.

It sounds like probes were positionally adjusted to provide better reflections almost near to SSR’s, but on my end it still looks like it’s just being projected from the center of the room. Room recalculations are still really slow, so I’m not certain if this is even live yet.

2 Likes

Built-in materials such as metal on regular parts use this new reflectance system too.

3 Likes

Environment Specular Scale is required to display a reflection that isn’t artificial (reflectance property), as the new things don’t work good with it, just with surface appearances. Environment specular scale multiplies everything in the world’s specular map. Therefore, specular scale 0 would not work. If you are trying to make a low poly art style game i highly recommend that you don’t use these reflection methods at all because they are only purposes for metal or other PBR Textures (realistic) to display more realistically since they aren’t mapping the sky.

1 Like

It looks GREAT although i think there should be a dedicated button for those developers who dont want it but this will go great with my game! Also one question

How do you do the surface appearance thing?

Ive tried to do it but it just looks like this

The wall with the arrow pointing to it is the surface apperance wall the wall next to it is metal what am i doing wrong? Do you need a PBR texture for it to work or something?

4 Likes

i did the lighting configs and stuff you needed to do for this and the reflections and metal cause default materials supposedly work and it doesnt work for me too

2 Likes

Im pretty sure its on

2 Likes