Better Indoor Reflections - Live for Future Lighting

These are cubemaps, not dynamic skies lol

3 Likes

how are the transitions jarring? They smoothly fade in and out, whereas switching skyboxes is instantaneous with no transition. I’m pretty sure the only case where they don’t smoothly transition is if you have EagerBulkExecution on in Studio which isn’t even representative of how the client sees things since it’s a Studio-only setting.

2 Likes

Yeah the second option looks better, and is manual!

I don’t use that, its not supported.

Skyboxes should not transition smoothly, it screws up the color of the Specular mapping between areas.
Any game that’s done similarly (like Source style cubemaps) will make transitions happen immediately because it affects the color grading of the area and that should instantly adapt to not allow for any error.

3 Likes

woah :flushed::flushed::flushed:
Seriously though, I’ve been waiting for this. I’ve always wanted to do something like a little Skyrim loading screen but with various in-game models. Now, they’d look absolutely beautiful even if it was just a screenshot. I’m giddy.

2 Likes

Tag me if you find it as well, I can’t seem to get it working.

1 Like

Reflections will help so much, I wonder if it could reflect the players which would be very helpful when creating mirrors and other reflections.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to get it to work but i just can’t. I’ve enabled the beta in studio settings, set EnviromentSpecularScale to 1, and enabled Future mode.

5 Likes

This type of reflection isn’t realtime and will never be realtime, it’s using a ENVMap which is just a still image, that sometimes changes.

oh and the ENVMap don’t show players because of said reason

2 Likes

I cant seem to make the reflections work?

1 Like

You have to make a room enclosed, like no openings to the room.

the “reflections” only work in rooms and aren’t very visible with default materials

yes thats what i did

ive made it metallic too but it reflects the skybox only

I already said they barely aren’t visible with default materials, you gotta use surfaceapperance, but that’s only for mesh parts.

i am using surface appearance.Do i have to add a texture for it to work?

You have to use metalness and roughness map for it to actually work.

1 Like

this couldve been the best update ever but you guys somehow butchered it despite already receiving detailed and constructive feedback from countless developers and having deliberately asked for them yourselves :sob:
at this point people will eventually stop suggesting any improvements for the engine as a whole in order to maintain the status quo because of the possibility of a forced half-baked update causing a game’s feature to be broken and possibly unfixable

13 Likes

Someone help with this, I enabled and this is what I get:

1 Like

Idk when this got updated but now all my texture’s are now runed, the texture now gets effected with the brick transparency. We see here in the picture that all the doors etc are runed.

1 Like

Could you put a side-by-side comparison in the same position, both images? I don’t know what to be looking at . There’s two images at different angles you don’t specify which one is changed.

1 Like