Better Indoor Reflections - Live for Future Lighting

Well it’s fixed, but you can see in the first picture that you can look through the door so you can see the tower!

Pretty cool indoor reflection. Metal material for sure got improved.

1 Like

Lovin’ the update! Makes lighting, metals, and reflections a lot more realistic and futuristic. Neat!

2 Likes

This looks absolutely marvelous! The sheer level of detail is incredible, and it will make everyone feel more immersed into the experience the game is portraying! Well done :clap:

Alright the reason i don’t like this update

• The “Reflections” take ages to actually appear
  • They also can’t have players in them
  • They’re bad quality and are more pixexlated than minecraft texture packs
  • You can only use them inside a building.
4 Likes

I hope you know why they look that way and take a long time to appear. Generating high quality cube maps in real time is likely not a trivial task since ur basically taking 6 screenshots of the world all at once. Besides, this effect is supposed to run on weak devices to powerful PCs. So generating a high fidelity cubemap is likely going to lead to stuttering on bad hardware.

Could improvements be made? Yea sure. But I think it works well enough already and runs well enough. Also maybe try to understand that the platform that’s supposed to be able to scale down to ur PC from 10 years ago likely isn’t going to have super advanced visuals.

1 Like

Haha that made me laugh, :laughing:. But yeah, I agree with you. They’re super pixelated and takes forever to appear, and change. And the fact you can use them only indoors are understandable since it’s called “Better Indoor Reflections” but it’s still weird how they thought it’d be a good idea to make it only indoors, like wth!

Woah! That’s extremely realistic and looks like next level realism, how’d you achieve this?

1 Like

High quality? That is a lie, when I’ve seen cube maps they’re pixelated when you can actually see them.

If Roblox had the same graphics functionality as Unreal/Unity then it would be 100 times better, since we could actually set what graphics we want, like FXAA, SSR, etc. And then Roblox could lower the graphics you’ve selected when you lower the graphics slider in the game options.

I think they used a mixture of a skybox and the Cubemapping.

3 Likes

You are very right about the high quality realtime thing. That would be less performant than ssr. A lot of people don’t seem to understand what the reflections are.
This shows that it shouldn’t be realtime.
It should be a manually placed system, like everyone was wanting for it back in beta. It shouldn’t have had the transition effect, that made it worse.
Also with the running on old hardware thing, you have to use future lighting, which is not very good for old hardware.

1 Like

Exactly! developer-made things are way better than automatic in some cases.

1 Like

I use substance painter for all of my texturing needs. It makes texturing 100x easier and can take down complex texturing from multiple days to just a few hours.

2 Likes

This dues not seem to be working for me, the part continues to reflect the sky.

i enabled that and set EnvironmentSpecularScale to 1.

1 Like

You have to make the part inside a room with no openings and make said part full metal & roughness to get an effect (using surfaceappearance)

SurfaceAppearance isn’t necessary. You can use any pre-built materials that have a shine to them, such as Metal, Foil, Glass, etc.

2 Likes

This is honestly so great! I really like the new updates that are slowly being implemented. Hopefully Future lighting will be smoother in the future so it can be integrated in more games.

4 Likes

With a VERY minimal effect when using default.

1 Like

Hey, I cant see the beta feature of Indoor dynamic environment maps, was this released or what happend, and can I get some updates on this?

2 Likes