Better Material Representation in Material Drop-down

The material dropdown located in the ribbon at the top of Roblox Studio (Studio > Model) is outdated in some capacities and misleading in other ways.

Oudated

• Plastic is downright outdated- it shows the old stud-style as its Icon when studs no longer appear on Plastic. This is not only outdated, though; this is also semi-misleading.

Misleading

• Grass lies to you. The texture looks like blades of grass, which are not true to the actual texture of grass.

• Glass also lies to you. The texture is no where near the actual texture for glass- the actual materials has no outline, not as much as a shine nor a gradient, and does not form a sort of arc in the center.

• Force Field is probably the worst material in terms of staying true to the actual material. It is represented as four arrows- not anywhere near the actual texture.

When I am in studio, and I want to choose the best material to accurately reflect the desired effect, the “preview” icons do not help me pick. This is my issue.

Secondly, for beginners this is also unhelpful- while one could argue they are just there to help you pick materials fast by providing a visual image rather than being true to the actual material- for beginners, they have no idea what the initial materials look like and this is not good.

To summarize, I want the icons of the materials to accurately represent what they actually look like. This is much more helpful than the current icons.

27 Likes

Adding onto this, I think it would be pleasant if instead of showing an icon, it would actually have a live render of a part with the given Material and the active studio color and part type. This would make it easier to quickly visualize some materials, especially for those which don’t have an actual texture, like Neon.

Not at all a good looking example, especially considering ViewportFrames have an outline for darker colors, but here’s a rough example of what I mean.

Color: Electric blue
Part Type: Wedge

Color: Grime
Part Type: Block

15 Likes