Better Options For Custom Characters PLEASE (Shapekeys + Layerable Materials)

I have been asking for this for an extremely long time, hence the desperate title.

As a developer, creating optimized, customizable mesh-deformed characters is currently impossible. Hence, many developers are stuck creating outdated, unoptimized models with split joints to allow the character to possess animations but also to allow the player to customize their character.

Example: Felandia

However, this modelling method is incredibly unoptimized (there are extra vertices between each “split”) and is relatively unappealing when it comes to appealing to an off-platform demographic. There are two features that will make it possible to create optimized, customizable characters that apply to players off the Roblox platform and make my workflow so much easier. I have been asking for these two features forever (ex., through speaking to engineers in person at RDC, commenting/boosting other people’s posts, etc.) and checking DevForums weekly for any updates on this topic, but there has been silence.

1.) Shapekeys
One necessary feature that Roblox must add to allow more flexibility in skinned mesh character customization is shape keys. Shape keys are necessary to create unique characters (model-wise). I have attached an image (from Skyrim) for an example. Additionally, shape keys are much needed for animation purposes. Creating blinking animations or other animations, such as those involved with lip-syncing (oh, etc.) is incredibly tedious. I don’t know why this feature was not added alongside dynamic faces. I was expecting it to be, and it never was, and until it is, I’m afraid I cannot play around with this newly added Roblox feature.

Example for how they are used for facial expressions (model by me):

https://gyazo.com/69bc610a214982dea754acebc483c034

2.) Layerable Materials
Layerable materials (such as the way old Classic shirts/pants, and current Roblox faces work) are needed for custom characters. As of right now, the only way to create certain colour regions is to split certain parts within the model. However, this is a workaround, as a lot of the time, weight painting will become broken when using this method. Additionally, it is impossible to add things like markings and textured clothing (like how World of Warcraft: Classic looks) without transferring weights etc. to separate objects, which is much more tedious than simply painting the texture onto the UV-mapped model.

I have attached an example of this: SurfaceAppearance.Color - #40 by Fennecpaw

World of Warcraft: Classic (example for how the painted clothing is UV-mapped onto the model):

13 Likes

That’s Game Should Be Outside Roblox Never Gonna Lie (Joke)
But for real You Need The Ugc to do that and some script to custom ur chatater and you need Some script in that if you dont know how to scrip its easly you can search in yt or try find any help in dev frum good luck

2 Likes

Why did no one reply to this? I fully agree!

2 Likes

bump, This needs massive attention, shape keys are insanely necessary and I was very upset to find out there is no support for them.

3 Likes

Shapekeys, layerable materials, and material Color3 values are a MUST for Roblox Studio. I was incredibly disappointed to not see any mention of this in the roadmap.

I should also mention that for materials, they should utilize SurfaceAppearance, as this gives flexibility to use Normal maps, etc.

5 Likes

Shouldn’t this go under Feature request? not quite sure what a shape key is but I agree! (couldn’t you achieve the same effect with more bones? A face rig?)

1 Like

The only theorized way you could copy what shape keys could do would be to give every single vertex of a 3d model its own bone (a terrible thing to do) unless your model is very low poly this isn’t an option and it would just be awful.

1 Like

What about bones and weight painting? Im probably wrong but, unless you are trying to move every vertex of your model differently, would you really need to add a bone for every vertex? couldnt you weight paint one bone to influence mutiple vertices?

1 Like

because even bones have rudimentary support in roblox, I have a rigify face rig that looks horrific in roblox because they don’t support bone squash and stretch like it is in blender, my animation looks terrible and I cannot do anything to help it. With vertex deformation you can do simulated face wrinkles, lip and skin simulations and bake them as 3d information and display it in game for very cheap processing power. Literally every other engine has this and roblox is the only one I know that doesn’t, this can even be used to have pre-calculated destruction like the stuff battlefield 4 has or half life 2 has. I mean it has so many uses and it’s so important that it infuriates me that it’s not in roblox.

1 Like

Really? Thats interesting…Okay! Makes sense!