Better replication lag

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to bug test games before full release. When releasing a game into the public, and getting 100+ players, the results tend to be very different than when testing using play solo or a few players in the “start server”. Nearly every time I’ve done a release, I’ve experienced bugs related to replication issues that are never present in studio, even when using the replication lag setting.

It’s generally a simple fix - adding a wait for child here, changing the order of something there, but as a whole it can be incredibly frustrating. Occasionally I’ll have major bugs that I can’t get to replicate at all in studio, which can be very hard to fix.

I am not an expert on these things - but I figure there’s got to be a way to replicate issues a bit better in studio? Something like occasionally sending things in the wrong order, ect?

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I could more thoroughly fix the bugs, and smoothen out the development process.

18 Likes

Almost every time there’s a major bug with an update to one of my games this is the cause. I don’t get it in Studio but I do randomly sometimes get it in-game. It’s been this way since I started developing on Roblox in 2014.

There exists a simple but powerful program called “clumsy” which gives you the ability you mess up your internet connection in a controlled manner:
https://jagt.github.io/clumsy/index.html

It also works both online and in roblox studio when you start a local server and it doesn’t require you to restart everytime you change your settings like you would when changing your replication lag in studio.
It also gives you more options outside just increasing latency.

The server-client connections effectivly for the most part runs over a reliable ordered connection so things are guaranteed to arrive in the exact same order you are sending them, no matter how poor connection is.
This of course comes with a whole host of other issues but I digress.

7 Likes

You are a lifesaver! Working very well, thank you!