Better type popups in the script editor

If you hover over an identifier in the script editor, you will see a popup showing the type associated with it, including all table fields. However, if the type has too much stuff in it, the popup will be truncated.

This makes it difficult to debug type checking issues as the specific fields that you are trying to debug probably won’t be in the small section of the type definition that happens to be visible.

This behaviour also just makes the popup effectively useless when working with larger types, as it rarely shows the information I am looking for.

A related issue is that the type definition that gets displayed is always the full, verbose type definition where every single descendant field is shown. This uses lots of space and can be quite inconvenient – often I want to see just the name of descendant types without having them fully expanded.

So some mechanisms to collapse/expand descendant types, and see the identifiers I gave them (not just their type definition) would help as well.

5 Likes

Very similar post by Elttob, and yeah I agree; typing on the tooltips and intellisense popups would be much better suited displaying the names of types instead of all the fine details of its fields crammed together.

Maybe there could be an option for this, or some other dedicated way to view the full typing in a more readable fashion if someone really wants to, but the default behavior right now is hard to look at in almost every case.

It’s worth mentioning though that, if a script uses strict typing, hovering over most elements of it displays the “verbose” type definitions slightly more clearly, which may be useful to you regarding the first problem you mentioned.

5 Likes