Better Bubble Chat

BetterBubbleChat (mainly helps with setting up bubblechat adornee)

Version 2 is now out!

Hello!
With BetterBubbleChat you will be able to bind bubble chat to parts instead to player character. Why you ask? Well, when bubble chat is bound to part inside model (player’s character), it will try to place bubble chat on top of that model, which is nice, only problem is you can’t turn this off if you need.

So I created this BetterBubbleChat, I tried to do it failproof, so there should be small chance of it actually throwing any error. I also tried to make sure messages are filtered, or that you see only messages you are supposed to see (for example you wont see other team’s team messages). It consists of multiple stuff, and is supposed to be located in ServerScriptService:

• To make it work, just simply move the ChatScript inside ServerScriptService with everything in it as it is.
  • If you wish to change where should this part be attached to, you can do so in ChatScript (read comments). It’s set as default to HumanoidRootPart
  • If you want to change the offset from the part its attached to, simply go to the Attachment1 inside TextPlaceholder part, and change it’s CFrame position
  • At last, if you want to change chat or chat bubble appearance, go to the ChatLocalScript and adjust settings for your needs. I tried to comment everything so hopefully there wont be any problems with that.

showcase

Let me know what you think of this, and you find any bugs, or would maybe like to add something, please let me know and I’ll see what I can do!

9 Likes

This is incredible, fantastic work!

4 Likes

Bug update

Bug:

• TextPlaceholder part stays in game after player leave. If he disconnects and reconnects, there will be multiple TextPlaceholder parts belonging to him, and bubble chats are not assinged well.

Fix:

• Added section in script that removes player’s TextPlaceholder part after he leaves the game.
1 Like

Thank you very much! If you encounter any problems with this please let me know.

2 Likes

Announcement

I just wanted to let you know that I created this, because I wanted something simple that would solve the issue of weird behavior of chat bubbled (unwanted behavior for my needs), and wanted to share this with all of you.

If you’re looking for whole chat overhaul insteal of just changing some settings about the textchat then I really recommend looking into Better Chat V3 made by @Jumpathy . He made a really great job and you should check it out if you want whole textchat overhaul instead.

IDK if this does all the same functionality as yours but you can sort of do the same thing(I think) by setting the adornee to an attachment vs a part:
like:
AdorneeName = “HairAttachment”,

then the bubble will not try to rise above the ‘model’ which the part is a part of.

I will definitely try this out and see, thanks for the info.

It does work, problem is it does not solve the issue I was mainly trying to solve, and that is keeping the text always in the same place from player (even if player is ragdolling or rolling around). But thank you for this information, might be useful later.

1 Like

Thanks to your information, I managed to create it simpler with much less code, and I also added config file. Thank you very much, I will post it soon as version 2 as it got changed a lot from the first version.

BetterBubbleChat V2 is now availible!

First of I would want to give my huge thanks to @Sir_Highness for showing me that you can actually use attachments inside character as adornee for bubblechat, without it causing the model problems.

I decided to make this version 2 as I reworked basically whole code, and it works a lot differently than before. Verion 1 will stay availible for people who would rather be interested in that, but I’ll probably wont update it anymore. If you make your own upgardes to it, feel free to share it here too!

So whats new?

• Lets start with showing off the new structure:

• Added config file for easier modifying. Everything should be mentioned there, or it will direct you to other scripts, so please read trough it before you’ll have any questions, as it might be mentioned there.

• No more using :DIsplayBubble() to show player bubbles! Instead its now displayed on Attachment inside the TextPlaceholder part that’s cloned. Thanks to this there is less work going on client side.

• TextPlaceholder is now inside player’s character instead of workspace, as it now does no problem. Thanks to this there is less work going on server side, as server needs only to take care of adding the part inside character on player:CharacterAdded.

This new update should also allow to teleport player with their chat bubbles too, all you need to do is to use character:PivotTo() instead of setting character.PrimaryPart.CFrame and you should be fine.

I did not include any images from game as for player it basically looks the same.

As always, if you find any bug, would like something added, or just have question about this model, feel free to ask here and I’ll try to answer as soon as I will be able to.

1 Like