Bezier curves to maintain same speed?

I’m trying to fire out a projectile that moves towards my mouse, following a bezier curve. However, the distance between myself and the end position changes how fast the projectile moves, how would I make it maintain a certain speed?

local bodyPos = Instance.new("BodyPosition",newBall)
bodyPos.MaxForce = Vector3.new(math.huge,math.huge,math.huge)
bodyPos.P = 50000
bodyPos.Position = newBall.Position

local endPos = mouseRemote:InvokeClient(plr)
local startPos = newBall.Position
local curveOffset = (CFrame.new((endPos+startPos)/2) * CFrame.new(xOffset * 1.5,yOffset * 1.5,zOffset * 1.5)).Position

local function lerp(p1,p2,t)
	return p1 + (p2-p1) * t
end

local speed = 100

for i = 0,speed do
	local t = i/speed

local l1 = lerp(startPos,curveOffset,t)
	local l2 = lerp(curveOffset,endPos,t)

local curve = lerp(l1,l2,t)
	bodyPos.Position = curve
	wait(0.01)

end
2 Likes

You can get the total length of the curve, then do local time = distance/speed where speed is a constant value. And use the time variable to set how quickly it has to move.

3 Likes

Could you go into further detail on how I would use time to manipulate this?

2 Likes

In this case, you would put the time variable in your wait() at the end. So like wait(time) instead of wait(0.01) . Also the smallest wait value you can use is 0.03, and wait() is depreciated. Use task.wait() as the alternative

3 Likes

In addition to the problem you are facing now, you may also need to use some arc-length parameterization for your Bézier curve to make sure the speed does not change throughout the curve. See more about that here under the “Arc-Length Parameterization” section: Bézier Curves | Roblox Creator Documentation

4 Likes

Putting time into my wait variable causes the projectile to stutter, waiting a few seconds before it moves.

local speed = 50
local distance = (startPos-endPos).Magnitude
local Time = distance/speed
print(Time)

for i = 0,speed do
	local t = i/speed

local l1 = lerp(startPos,curveOffset,t)
	local l2 = lerp(curveOffset,endPos,t)

local curve = lerp(l1,l2,t)
	bodyPos.Position = curve
	task.wait(Time)

end```