BillboardGui not tracking properly

So i’m trying to add a little info Gui for specific cars

and that works good if you’re not moving…

but for some reason, it stops tracking above correctly, except on the locomotive (which the player is in)
all the parts in this have their network ownership set to the player.

code:

IG = DrivingGui.Storage.InfoGui
function MouseOver(ImageButton)
    ImageButton.MouseEnter:connect(function()
        IG.Adornee = ImageButton.Object.Value
        IG.Parent = Cam
    end)

the ‘Object’ in Imagebutton is an ObjectValue, set to its corresponding car on the train.
I’ve tried parenting it to the car as well, same results.
is there any way to correct this issue?

2 Likes

This is a bug on our side. Can you provide a repro place? I’ve seen this before but I’ve never been able to repro it.

Another issue I noticed with billboard guis, is that when you are around 500+ studs away from it, they tend to shift from their original position and are inaccurate for things like 3d crosshairs, etc

1 Like

I just created a test place at 2000 studs from origin with a 3D crosshair and it seems to work fine.

Could you elaborate? It’s possible you have floating point error building up Lua side, or you’re talking about distances much larger than 500 studs. I would expect BillboardGuis to be fairly stable out until at least 20 000 studs, and perhaps even as far as 200 000 studs.

BillboardGuiRepo.rbxl (17.4 KB)

the bug seems to come from the fact that it’s set to the model, and not a specific part.

It looks like it is caused because of some caching behavior with models internally. I have a fix for the bug, it’ll be live Soon™. As a workaround, I suggest not using a Model as the Adornee / Parent.

5 Likes

The fix for this bug is now live.

6 Likes

Not sure if this is related but since yesterday I’ve noticed my BillboardGui that used ExtentsOffset moved down without me changing any values - could this have been caused by the above fix? :slight_smile:

Yes, it appears that my fix changed this behavior. It now behaves as though it was just adorned to the PrimaryPart. I assume you had a static model that it was adorned to, so the lagging behind wasn’t a problem?

I’ll try to make another fix.

1 Like

Yeah it was a static part so lagging wasn’t issue!

Thanks!!

I have a new fix ready, but it won’t be released until next year. Is it a big impact on your game the way the current fix is, should I revert to the old behavior?

I don’t want to cause any unnecessary problems - I tried adjusting the Y value and it seemed to work although just not as smooth (it’s now back at the correct position but just jitters weirdly as you move) - that’s only annoying and not critical though so unless the revert is fairly easy it should be able to wait a few weeks or so :slight_smile: Thanks for sorting this!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.