BillboardGui.LightInfluence = 0 makes my white gui gray

When BillboardGui.AlwaysOnTop is set to False, white is incorrectly rendered as gray.

When AlwaysOnTop is set to True, it has accurate colors, but we often do not want AlwaysOnTop.

Tests done:

• Tested on Windows 10, on roblox versions from the years 2019-2024
  • Changing LightInfluence does not affect this
  • Adding or removing PointLights does not affect this
  • Part.CastShadow does not affect this
  • Changing Lighting Technology does not affect this unless you change it to Compatibility, then both are correctly rendered as white; but I want to use the newer technologies.

(I am unable to change the thread’s name to mention AlwaysOnTop instead of LightInfluence)

billboardgui repro.rbxl (18.2 KB)

10 Likes

I believe this is due to the tonemapper? This also happens with other things that are supposed to be pure white, for example a pure white skybox actually appears as a light grey.

3 Likes

This is still happening and makes custom nametags almost illegible in certain circumstances. I have to turn on AlwaysOnTop to get it to be white, which is unacceptable for a nametag.

RobloxStudioBeta_2021-04-03_13-05-08 RobloxStudioBeta_2021-04-03_13-05-21

9 Likes

I ran into this issue last night and I wasn’t too pleased having to go with AlwaysOnTop set to true.

3 Likes

cant you just do BillboardGui.LightInfluence = 1?

Changing LightInfluence in any manner does not ever result in a pure white color.

1 Like

I was working on some billboard guis for the game I’m working on and have also noticed this glaring issue. It also appears that AlwaysOnTop being disabled seems to lower the quality a bit too for some reason.

1 Like

Unfortunately, our internal tech would make those 3d ui which are sorted with scene depth affected with tone-mapping that might be hard to alternatively processed for near term. However, you could possibly utilize the Brightness property on the BillboardGui/SurfaceGui to achieve the color correction(e.g. adjusting brightness to around 2).

1 Like

Is this referring to post-processing effects that are in Lighting for example applying to BillboardGui’s? Also, does AlwaysOnTop make the Gui render using the GUI pipeline instead of the 3D one?

AlwaysOnTop would make Guis ignore 3d worlds effects for most of time, as the Gui would not need to be interact with the scene depth/lighting anymore. You can take this as it gets process as the normal screenspace Gui pipeline that is processed after the post effects(color corrections, blurs, depth of field, etc).

2 Likes

Raising the brightness to 2 doesn’t match the pure white, and other colors get more vibrant ):

Left = control test with AlwaysOnTop True (accurate)
Middle = AlwaysOnTop False & Brightness 2
Right = AlwaysOnTop False & Brightness above 2 (2.3) introduces bloom

(Oops, I can’t change the title to mention AlwaysOnTop; changing LightInfluence isn’t the issue)