New Brightness Property for 3D GUIs

Hello everyone!

We’ve added a Brightness property to SurfaceGui and BillboardGui. This scales the light emitted from the GUI. Now you can create brighter, GUI-based effects like HDR TV screens! This is another small step in our effort that started with Future Is Bright 1 to support environments with wide ranges of brightness.

SurfaceGui with Brightness 0.1, 1, and 10, respectively

Note: Brightness only has an effect when LightInfluence is less than 1 and AlwaysOnTop is false.

• When LightInfluence is 1, a GUI is lit entirely by its environment, as if it were an image painted on a Part. In a dark room, it won’t be visible.
  • When LightInfluence is 0, a GUI has a constant brightness independent of its environment, as if it were a TV screen emitting its own light. This is controlled by the Brightness property.
  • When AlwaysOnTop is true, a GUI will appear on-screen with the exact pixel colors from its descendant Frames, ImageLabels, etc.

Thanks!

517 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

Awesome! Another feature that would help me boost game graphics!

19 Likes

Experimented a bit with a computer, makes a pretty cool log-out effect for turning off the computer. Might fiddle with a brightness setting :eyes:

141 Likes

When you turn on your device in the middle of the night

t

Jokes aside, this is a very nice feature! This could be usefull for easily making a intro. You could just use tweenservice to make the screen brightness from dark to normal. This will help alot of devs like us out. Thanks roblox!

94 Likes

This looks very cool and it looks like some people will find great use in it! Keep up the good updates!

7 Likes

Are there any performance implications for extensive use of this feature?

7 Likes

Probably not. In my opinion this is very similar to brightness properties for particles, SurfaceGUI and BillboardGUI.

2 Likes

Probably a really useful update, however, it looks kind of bad the way it bleeds off like that. TV screens in real life don’t do it.

22 Likes

I don’t mean to hate on this, it is very cool, but could we please get a UI Blur effect? We have been asking for it for a while.

28 Likes

I really, really like this new addition. I wonder if this will also be good for flashlight effects, such as this:

This flashlight doesn’t use any actual lights and instead relies on a bug in Studio’s engine that enables you to see more clearly in darkness through a transparent billboard. Though it looks foggy, I wonder if having light emission in this fashion will help solve this issue with FiB

46 Likes

I’m assuming the minimum brightness is completely black?

5 Likes

lord thank you this was literally ruining a game before

2 Likes

No.

42 Likes

I always love to see new features added to Studio! Keep up the great work engineers!

1 Like

That’s just bloom. Find the Lighting service then insert a Bloom object and set the Intensity to 0.

Now, Roblox please add image filters and image masking

21 Likes

When is a blurry gui coming? That’d be a cool feature.

10 Likes

Looks nice! Maybe I can use it with my Sky3D module somehow :thinking: (Just tried it, it actually looks so much better than before)

This would be amazing. You could be able to create ui shadows super easily and also it would just look nice

4 Likes

This update is really amazing.

Brightness = 1 on the left, Brightness = 2.5 on the right.

Sample: Brightness.rbxl (46.0 KB)

51 Likes

Does this mean that bright sunlight during the day won’t weaken the the perceived brightness of the UI as it does for local light sources?

6 Likes