"Black Line" Texture Bug

[quote] Making decals larger than 256x256 is redundant Explode, Roblox downscales all decals to 256x256.

If you make your decals 256x256 I don’t think you’ll get black lines. [/quote]

Just attempted downscaling to 256x256, the black line is still there.[/quote]

That’s stretched though.

[quote] [quote=“Owen” post=5281]Making decals larger than 256x256 is redundant Explode, Roblox downscales all decals to 256x256.

If you make your decals 256x256 I don’t think you’ll get black lines. [/quote]

Just attempted downscaling to 256x256, the black line is still there.[/quote]

That’s stretched though.[/quote]Does that change anything? The decal is 256x256.

The only way to get rid of this right now is to leave a one-pixel thin transparent border in the decal image; if we’re rescaling decals to 256x256 on upload (OMG WHY) then it should be one-pixel thin in 256x256 (so you need a larger border if your source decal image is larger).

Yes, this happens because we enable texture wrapping for decals; decals share most of the rendering code with textures.

Can you post the decal URL so that I can make a repro?

The only way to get rid of this right now is to leave a one-pixel thin transparent border in the decal image; if we’re rescaling decals to 256x256 on upload (OMG WHY) then it should be one-pixel thin in 256x256 (so you need a larger border if your source decal image is larger).

Yes, this happens because we enable texture wrapping for decals; decals share most of the rendering code with textures.

Can you post the decal URL so that I can make a repro?[/quote]
There’s a transparent boarder one pixel thick in both decals.

Here are the original images (not 256x256 for full quality):

[quote] There’s a transparent boarder one pixel thick in both decals.

Here are the original images (not 256x256 for full quality):

http://i.imgur.com/8LAc2Ol.png [/quote]

Thanks for the images.

Taking the tree decal as an example, the bottom border is literally 1 pixel high - since the image is 530 pixels high, when it gets rescaled to fit into 256x256 the border becomes less than 1 pixel high; increasing the bottom border to 3-4 pixels to be safe should help.

I’ll try to get this fixed so that the border is not necessary for decals, but the fix will not be released this year.

This has bothered me since 2008. Glad it’s finally being looked at, though.

I thought this bug was because decals are designed to wrap around bevels and there are no bevels anymore.

FYI: This bug is now fixed in our internal build for Decals; the fix will be live mid-January.

The fix is live. Yay!

Yey!

I can still see the lines from far away

Up close looks a whole lot better, though.

Progress!

If you’re using surface guis then Make a Frame with clipDescendants true and up the scale a bit…

[/quote]

These faraway blocks look like they’re using Texture object, not Decals?
The fix only applies to Decals; fixing Textures is essentially impossible.

[/quote]

These faraway blocks look like they’re using Texture object, not Decals?
The fix only applies to Decals; fixing Textures is essentially impossible.[/quote]

Aww man that stinks it’s even more annoying with textures… :frowning:

@zeuxcg any updates on this? With the new scaling features, it is harder to have a one size fits all image that doesn’t have obvious lines.

I’m not sure what you’re asking about.

When you scale down an ImageLabel with an image that is too large, the black lines still appear on it. I thought this was going to be fixed?

No, this is not what this thread about. What you need is to perform a background fill on your image, please refer to this thread for more info http://devforum.roblox.com/t/black-outline-appears-when-scaling-images/

1 Like

Oh oops. Couldn’t find that thread and thought this was similar. I’ll try that, thanks.