BlendBlox, Work in progress

Howdy partners! Its me, Guest from Guest-Tech Studio a group that does not exist! Today I’ve finally reached a point where I can show off my latest project which has no official name but for now I’ll refer to it as BlendBlox. As most of you who lurk in What are you working on currently thread, you may have notice I do a lot of blender models and enjoy doing them… I’ve been modeling in Blender so much these past 2 months that trying to build in studio felt more like a hindrance and something overly complicated, having to navigate through a lot of menus to find tools I need in order to build a simple wall, while in blender I just press a key and poof, tool activated. Sooo, for the past two weeks or so I’ve been working on a project with a little help from @Weeve that I originally planned to use in-game for a secret project, however there might be a possibility that I miiight turn this into a paid plugin at some point later in the future. Nevermore, let me get onto the gifs and explaining what this is, how to use it and where to use it:

1.) First up, let me show you my sexy hawt object insertion menu for both Object and Edit modes.

In Object Mode this menu allows you to create new objects to edit in Edit Mode. (At the current time you cannot scale, move or rotate these objects)
In Edit Mode this menu allows you to instance new shapes to add onto your object for detail, you can freely move, scale or rotate these objects in any way you please. (And later on be able to change their color and materials)

2.) Object specific editing (Edit mode) + auto object focusing:

As the gif above shows, you can select specific objects to edit, doing so will automatically bring the object into focus and when you press Tab you will enter Edit Mode for that object. When you are in Edit Mode, all other objects in the scene will go out of focus allowing you to focus on the object you are editing while still being aware of the other objects in the scene, this would be extremely helpful for one if they were making complex body armor.

3.) The ablity to use Blender like transformations such as:
Grab/move in world space or strictly on a single axis:

Rotate to where you’re mouse is pointing or axis specific:

Scale on all axis or a single axis:

You can limit the transformation to a specific axis by pressing X,Y or Z. Its important to note that my script uses Blender Axis and not ROBLOX Aixs (meaning Y and Z switched axis places).

To confirm an transformation, simply left lick.
To cancel an transformation, right click or press and of the other action activation keys.

So where can I play around with this work-in-progress?
Right here: https://www.roblox.com/games/493626965/WIP

Controls?
Rotate: Rightclick
Pan: Rightclick + left shift
Zoom: Scrollwheel
Left click: select limb
Tab: Enter/Exit edit mode
1 / Keypad 1 : Back view
3 / Keypad 3 : Front view
4 / Keypad 4 : Right view
5 / Keypad 6 : Left view
7 / Keypad 7 : Top view
9 / Keypad 9: Bottom view
G : Move
R : Rotate
S : Scale

Well thats all I have to say, hope some of you guys like this.

cc @maplestick

4 Likes

Do transformations (move, rotate, scale) respect Studio grid size (or have their own grid size options)?

At the current moment in time: No, this is in-game and not a plugin. It does however have a grid that you can use when holding Left Ctrl. The grid size is 15 units (studs). However when (if) this is transformed into a plugin making it respect studio grid size wouldn’t be too hard, merely changing a variable.

blob.png

why

[quote=“GuestCapone, post:1, topic:29158, full:true”]I’ve been modeling in Blender so much these past 2 months that trying to build in studio felt more like a hindrance and something overly complicated, having to navigate through a lot of menus to find tools I need in order to build a simple wall, while in blender I just press a key and poof, tool activated.
[/quote]

That, and its going to play a crucial role for something else.

Right click, insert part, use hotkeys to scale- just built a wall. Also most people won’t buy a paid plugin

“Also most people won’t buy a paid plugin”

LOL what this is paid?

Yeah, I’m gonna charge and arm and leg for it!!!

I don’t think Ghost realizes that this is not a plugin nor is it for sale. As stated in OP, I’m not sure if I will even port it over to a plugin format, and if I did it wouldn’t be a free use one. (Except for the two users in the OP)

well

They’re meant for different uses. Blender is for creating 3D assets, whereas Roblox Studio is meant for placing and setting up the assets to use in your game. (But studio can also be used for asset creation as well, using roblox’s tools).

I’ve seen your blender models in the other thread, and they’re super cool!

1 Like

2 Likes