Blender gives union weird shadows that show up when exported back to roblox

My goal is to try to convert this union to a mesh, but whenever I try to export a union to blender, it shows up with these weird shadows, or possibly bumps in union, that are not on the union before I export it to blender, but show up on the mesh when I import it back. I am new to blender and the only reason I got it was to convert unions to meshes, so I don’t understand much of it. I have tried searching for a fix but no problem looks like the one I have, and I have asked on the Roblox reddit, but got no replies. Can anyone help? Thanks!
-Hen8

2 Likes

Unions are really messy. What you’re seeing is how Studio calculated the Union’s geometry. You can tell by how many Vertexes there are. For example:

This looks visually cleaner than your picture, but I assure you it’s just as bad. Watch:

Press F3, and type in Merge By Distance, then Enter

Now it’s visually looking a lot like yours still, but more than twice as efficient. But we’re not done yet.

Now, you have two options, depending on what the style of game you’re making.

1. Flat Shading:

While in Object mode, click Object, Shade Flat. It’ll look like this, where each face is more visible when angled.

1. Mark Sharp & Auto Smooth:

While in Edit mode, select the edges of the object where you want an “edge” to be visible, such as the corners of the object, and click Edge, Mark Sharp.

Then in the Object Data Properties tab, click on Normals, and enable Auto Smooth

Now the shading is much cleaner.

8 Likes

Thank you so much! As soon as I clicked auto smooth, all of the weird shadows went away! I couldn’t see if the other things made a difference but I did it just incase. :slight_smile: