Blender 'hair' particle into studio

Hi, I have been attempting to make a realistic(ish) model of a hay bale in blender using particles with the hair setting selected.

Screenshot

When I upload the mesh to Roblox (as a .FBX) the ‘hair’ doesn’t appear/render and I am left with a large brick.

Screenshot

Is there a solution/way around this problem?

7 Likes

I’m not an expert at Blender, but did you use a modified square as part of the “basis” for the particles? If so, it looks like particles aren’t supported. If in doubt, reimport the object into blender, if it displays properly you know its a problem with the import into roblox.

I might not be right here but I think particles aren’t supported by studio as they aren’t geometric. Though I’ll edit this out if I am proven wrong.

2 Likes

I have a feeling you may be right about particles not being supported in Roblox, although strangely when I reimported the mesh into Blender it didn’t render as I had saved it.

Screenshots

1 Like

Ah, it seems your file has loaded it as many vertices, without connections, which is why it appears blank.

I think even if it did work with those vertices, I’d heavily not recommend it, looks like there’s hundreds there, and if each one has triangles that could be a huge number, which will struggle in ROBLOX’s engine.

Edit: As for a solution, I don’t really have any recommendations, I am not that savvy with studio effects or blender to offer one I’m afraid.

3 Likes

Roblox Particles can provide a similar effect.

Would you mind expanding on that?

I don’t see why you need to use Blender’s particle rendering when Roblox has the exact same feature optimized for its gameplay.

If you need more details on particle emitters you can look here.

Would you explain to me how I might achieve the same effect, as seen in my first screenshot, in studio?

You could convert the particle into an actual mesh, put you have to decimate it to surpass roblox’s 10,000 tris count limit.

1 Like

Using particles with blender and studs is always a pain, try using modifiers and mess around with them, you can get a similar result however watch our for triangle limits.

1 Like

you could also try to use terrain’s grass to simulate hair.

1 Like

This could help, i made a tree using blender hair particle and managed to import it to roblox :slight_smile: just read the comments.

PS : Once you have applied the particles, join all ths hair in one mesh with ctrl + j (i think) then export it as fbx, be sure to check the write materials, uv and such in the options, got any questions ? Feel free to ask :wink:

2 Likes

@Lord_Monever Thanks for the suggestion, I applied the particles and they merged into one mesh (without me having to join them) like this:

Screenshot

But when I imported the mesh into studio it rendered as a cuboid.

The weirdest part is that I tried reimporting the mesh into blender and it also rendered as a cuboid:

Screenshot

2 Likes

Could you send your blender file and let me see ?

Blender’s hair particles are “curves”. Curves are lines that can be used to create or generate geometrical shapes, however they aren’t meshes, so roblox can’t read them. i believe there are ways to convert curves into meshes, but this would likely pass roblox’ 10,000 tris limit. Since you’re trying to make a haybale, i suggest using decals that contain images of hay and place a couple around a cube.

I think this video has the thing you are looking for: How to build Anime Trees in ROBLOX Studio (Ghibli Trees) [Stylized Trees] {2021} - YouTube