Blender Render Times Increasing Massively Over Time

I’ve searched all over google for answers but I’ve got none.
When I first rendered my scene (Which was overnight), the render samples were around 1000, and there were 900 frames to render. I managed to get 1/5 of it done. The next night, I did the same thing, except I got another 1/10 of it done, and I had just discovered I messed something up so I redid the thing.
I changed my render samples to 440, and the first night I managed to get 1/4 of it done. The second night, I got another 1/12 of it done. The third night, I got even fewer, about 30 frames done. (Keep in mind I didn’t change any settings, i restarted my computer every time before I started rendering overnight, I had no background processes, it was just blender.). Last night, I managed to get an astonishing amount of 0 frames done, which had taken over ten hours to render.

It didn’t even render halfway, and it took like an entire hour to complete one square.

It’s not like my C: Drive is full either, I still have a few hundred megabytes left and the frames don’t take up alot of space, besides, the frames are all located in a folder in my D: Drive, which has hundreds of gigabytes left.

actually, that is the problem. No matter what, your CPU and GPU are designed to run on the C: Drive. You only got a few MB left, which means the CPU and GPU do not have any room to breathe. It is also very unhealthy for your computer to have little to no space on the C: Drive. That is a very easy way to get slapped with the BSOD, and im sure you won’t want that to happen.

You just need to clean some files off of C:. There is a reason it is red.

2 Likes

Bro… do you know anything about computers? Your CPU and gpu don’t run on your drive :joy:

Yes actually. You need the allocated space for the driver data and .temp files whenever the memory is overloaded, which always happens while rendering something.

As the GPU creates the image, the tile data is stored in the memory. When the image is finished, it takes all of those tiles and puts it into one image. As it is doing this, your GPU drivers are writing logs in case of a failure. This happens every time your GPU is running over a certain percent (usually 80%).

proofs:

Definitely agree with @Discgolftaco231

I do however notice that there are a lot of optimizations you could make to your render to make it much faster. For one thing you should use denoising and a sample rate of something like 256 or even 128.
You can also turn of reflective and refractive caustics, turn on adaptive sampling, and definitely change your tile size to either 32x32 or 64x64 as CPUs render much faster when the tile size is small. 256x256 or 512x512 if you’re using GPU.
Here’s an image:

Let me know if you want more advice/tips as I have plenty. :wink:
Good luck!

1 Like