Blender rig exporter/animation importer

Have you found a way around this? I’m getting the same error (Windows-64, Blender 2.8) with default rigs from Rig Builder. Weird block is there. Positioning can be fixed by setting HumanoidRootPart position to 0s.

Only warning on Roblox side was for face decal, which I removed.

2 Likes

No, i have tried several times to get this to work for me and it does not. I tired the blender 2.7x version and the 2.8 version. Double-checked all version of everything were correct, followed all the steps. NOTHING.

Just cant get it to work and I gave up a while back.

1 Like

You should probably try using blender 2.79, some newer builds of 2.8 changed something which seems to cause issues with the blender addon. Once the 2.8 beta is over I’ll look into fixing it up again (as the API still isn’t completely stable during the beta).

1 Like

testmodelRthro.obj (1.2 MB)
Can someone with a working Blender 2.8 importer try importing this obj file (a default Antro-Normal character) to help me figure out if the problem I’m having is with the export from Roblox or the import to Blender? Thanks!

I get something like this. Everything is one mesh and the block is really 2k triangles (a bunch layers on top of one another).

1 Like

Thanks, will try that next. Although, Planet_Dad seems to have already tried it…

1 Like

That .obj file is correct, at least.
It generally has to do with the blender .obj importer behaving differently (which the “import rig” option uses).

2 Likes

The 2.79 import and rebuild rig works for me. It’s currently possible to save and then open in 2.8 and animate/export from there. Thanks very much for your guidance and for this great tool!

1 Like

Haven’t tested it, but saving the .blend and opening that in 2.8 might work, yes.

1 Like

Interesting! Thank you for doing this.

1 Like

The issue with blender 2.8 add-on is that Blender has changed the default settings for importing .obj files.

You now need to check this option to import .obj as separate parts.

I assume this is the cause of the problem.
Just thought I’d let you know so when you get round to fixing it your job is somewhat easier.

4 Likes

Thanks! That’s definitely useful to know and very likely the cause indeed!

3 Likes

hey @Den_S i’m getting some error with blender 2.8, i was using the old blender for animating stuff but when i try using the new blender 2.8 it keep getting this error.
this error is what show up when importing

this is when try to make the rig work with N tab

i’m using the latest version of blender and the latest version of your python script for blender.

2 Likes

Newer Blender 2.8 versions have some changes in the .obj import behavior, it’s suggested to use 2.79 for now (or use a much older 2.8 version). The 2.8 addon will be updated whenever 2.8 its API becomes more stable.

2 Likes

I’ve been messing around with this blender addon code and import obj code from blender itself. I might have found a permanent solution (regarding the UI changes and importing obj to seperate objects) to make the addon work again on 2.8x as shown in the code it’s unlikely that the import method will change between now and the stable release. The only difference might be that the addon would more be a “official” addon rather than 1 script. I’ll try to finish the combination between your source code and the obj. If you want to look into it once I’m done feel free to message me.

Btw @Den_S I’ll have to give my compliments to you, your addon made me really curious to start doing more in python as I’ve been looking to get more knowledge on different coding languages.

2 Likes

as promised. i managed to rework the whole script into a full blender 2.8x supported addon regarding the importer and UI changes of blender.

only took a day but the basics are usable(some functions in it cause errors). :slight_smile:
IK usage is pretty much broken in here but im sure it can be fixed

4 Likes

@VoidedBIade Where do I get it?

1 Like

Nowhere yet. The original code was made by den_s and this modified version is as unstable as blender 2.8x in the non basics usage matter.

1 Like

Oh well. I tried to import the character in 2.79 in a blank file, delete the camera and light. Select everything and copy it, then paste it in a blender 2.8 file and it seems to work fine :smiley:

1 Like

this works too idd. the only reason i reworked the whole script is to have something i can apply my knowledge on or even learn from regarding the python coding language

2 Likes

Is there anyway I could get the IK bones working properly?

They’re really disconnected with custom rigs like the one I’m using

4 Likes