Blender to Roblox import plugin fails to give access when setting permissions

Currently the blender import plugin is completely broken.

Browser: OperaGX
Date Occurred: 4/1/2024
Blender Version: 4.1
Studio world has team create enabled, and the model already placed in Workspace.

World with the blender model and package link to the issue
ReproBlender.rbxl (2.4 MB)

Issue is shown in the video.

Expected behavior

I expect the system to allow for easy login and setup of the blender plugin, and seamless functionality with importing and updating models within a team create world. I have read that the team create system may be the cause for some issues, but this should not prevent us from having a streamlined workflow.

A private message is associated with this bug report

Additionally, this is being sent in the output.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

yeah it works fine for me on Blender 4.0 but I get the same error above for Blender 4.1

1 Like

can confirm, we are also on version 4.1

hey, just wanted to follow up on this and see if this was looked into yet. Been severely limiting our workflow process for the past few weeks.

Thanks for your patience. I’m unable to reproduce this on Blender 4.0.2 or Blender 4.1.1; it lets me log in normally on both versions. I did these initial tests using Firefox on MacOS.

Root cause investigation

To help identify the root cause here, would you please share the output from Blender during this process?

Explanation

I’m hoping there’s some indication in the logs, such as an error about starting the localhost server, or perhaps an issue during installation. For context, after granting permissions on roblox.com oauth2 page, Roblox needs to send the newly authorized access tokens back to the Blender plugin. To do this, the plugin starts a server running locally on your computer listening on localhost:8181/oauth2/callback, which is what you see your browser getting redirected to after granting permissions. Something is either preventing that local server from starting or perhaps a firewall or antivirus is getting in the way of the connection.

Note: The logs may contain your local computer user account name which often contains part of your real name. For this reason, you may prefer to share the logs in the private message thread associated with this bug report.

Retrieve Blender logs

To get the logs, you can follow these instructions:

For MacOS users:
  1. Open terminal app on your mac
  2. enter blender, which will start Blender from your terminal window. This pipes blender output into your terminal
  3. Follow the login sequence of the plugin
  4. After the issue occurs, go back to your terminal and copy the output
For Windows users:
  1. Open Blender normally
  2. At the top toolbar, select Window > Toggle System Console. This opens a terminal window containing the output from Blender
  3. Follow the login sequence of the plugin
  4. After the issue occurs, copy the output from the system console

If there is no helpful error inside, it may be caused by an issue during installation. If that’s the case, please try completely uninstalling the plugin and then capture the output from the re-installation process by copying it from the terminal output via the steps above. The logs for this that I would need here are from when you click the “Install dependencies” button of the plugin.

Detailed steps for uninstalling and reinstalling can be found on the GitHub readme page, be sure to follow them carefully.

Short-term unblock

In an attempt to unblock you in the short term while we investigate further, please try a few things:

• Downgrade Blender to 4.0
  • Try another browser
  • Temporarily disable any anti-virus running and disable any firewalls (be sure to re-enable these after testing the login flow!)

Hi there,

Thanks for the update. Here is the output:

Thanks, this is probably caused by a failed installation of the cryptography module during the Install dependencies step. The plugin is not supposed continue if the installation fails, but there must be a bug in how it handles exceptions (you can track the open issue here). This module is used to verify the integrity of the oauth tokens, but it has to be compiled differently for different operating systems, which is why there’s the dependency installation step after installing the plugin.

To remedy this error, please try uninstalling and re-installing the blender add-on, and capture the output during the Install dependencies step. It will probably contain an error message explaining why it can’t install correctly.

Note that others have reported their antivirus blocking this step of the installation, so that is likely the same cause here showing up in a different symptom. You could try disabling your antivirus during dependency installation.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

Should this be resolved in an upcoming patch? Or is this a permanent issue we will have to work around?

Also, we have confirmed this is what the issue was. It works now after reinstalling it.

Glad you’ve got this working now! If you want to track the issue progress, there is the open ticket on GitHub I mentioned above to look into the problematic exception handling during installation, which encompasses this problem and some others.

I can’t make any promises as to when I’ll be able to actually fix it, but it’s also available for anyone to make a pull request and contribute a fix if they want!

The goal of this plugin is to show value in the Open Cloud API, not necessarily to provide a forever-supported first-party tool. By demonstrating value, we’re hoping the developer community will start to craft their own tools to fit everyone’s needs. And this plugin is licensed such that anyone could use it as a base for their own as well!