Block coding system, new object BlockScript?

[quote] [quote=“anon80475429” post=201319]I asked on twitter using #ROBLOX and #ROBLOXDev and a few friends and the majority did vote for a drop-n-block style coding system

http://strawpoll.me/5502425 [/quote]

I feel like thats rather misleading.
"I’d rather learn coding by using simple drag-n-drop block scripts’
I’d argue that you aren’t learning coding at all. This block layout simply introduces you to a similar logical flow that programming languages have. While it makes getting into programming easier I wouldn’t call it ‘learning coding’ to the same degree that someone learns Lua or C++

Also, the total vote count is way too small for this poll to have any merit to it.[/quote]
It helped me to learn coding and I’m sure others would to. Whilst not hard coding everything off by heart they would still be able to understand everything. Scratch referred to it at one point as ‘providing easier learning for young kids with the ability to advanced their knowledge of coding’

I’m constantly promoting this poll right now and it’s still gathering votes, don’t give up on it just yet.[/quote]

It helps you understand the logic BEHIND common features of programming languages. Thats about as far as it goes.

Also, considering how large the ROBLOX community is, that poll would need thousands of entries to be significant.

1 Like

Which is why we never ever want a block coding system. We don’t want to teach people how to code. We want to teach people how to program.
-snip-[/quote]
I meant to say program

2 Likes

[quote] [quote=“Sparker22” post=201322][quote=“anon80475429” post=201319]I asked on twitter using #ROBLOX and #ROBLOXDev and a few friends and the majority did vote for a drop-n-block style coding system

I feel like thats rather misleading.
"I’d rather learn coding by using simple drag-n-drop block scripts’
I’d argue that you aren’t learning coding at all. This block layout simply introduces you to a similar logical flow that programming languages have. While it makes getting into programming easier I wouldn’t call it ‘learning coding’ to the same degree that someone learns Lua or C++

Also, the total vote count is way too small for this poll to have any merit to it.[/quote]
It helped me to learn coding and I’m sure others would to. Whilst not hard coding everything off by heart they would still be able to understand everything. Scratch referred to it at one point as ‘providing easier learning for young kids with the ability to advanced their knowledge of coding’

I’m constantly promoting this poll right now and it’s still gathering votes, don’t give up on it just yet.[/quote]

It helps you understand the logic BEHIND common features of programming languages. Thats about as far as it goes.

Also, considering how large the ROBLOX community is, that poll would need thousands of entries to be significant.[/quote]
Which provides the basic building blocks for kids, once they understand that they may want to experiment and try having a go scripting a normal script.

It’s not like I can place a banner or do an official ROBLOX survey but I am asking a lot of my friends who have mentioned to me before that they have wanted to learn how to script or didn’t know how to as well and as many people as I’m able to reach.

1 Like

I support this idea. Also, I made a thread with a similar request a week ago.
http://developer.roblox.com/forum/development-discussion/18330-a-more-primitive-alternate-programming-creating-method-and-system

2 Likes

[quote] I asked on twitter using #ROBLOX and #ROBLOXDev and a few friends and the majority did vote for a drop-n-block style coding system

That’s some nice question bias you got there. It would be a shame if it contaminated all your data…

2 Likes

[quote] I asked on twitter using #ROBLOX and #ROBLOXDev and a few friends and the majority did vote for a drop-n-block style coding system

That’s some nice question bias you got there. It would be a shame if it contaminated all your data…[/quote]

My exact same thought. It’s basically setting up the questioning like so:

Would you like to learn to code games easily with blocks, or would you like to use the heavily stigmatized wiki to write code?

Obviously people are going to go with the option that says “simple” or “easy” rather than through the wiki, which is notorious for not being a good, standalone teacher.

2 Likes

[2021 Edit for those still finding this]: I never worked on this project, but nothing stops this project from existing is no one has worked on this.

Question: Do you guys want me to try to make some form of block coding system as a plugin?
Bonus: Should I use the one by TheGamer101 where you would see in like Alice 3 or one like Sparker22 for things like Unreal and Mindstorm NXT?

5 Likes

That’s some nice question bias you got there. It would be a shame if it contaminated all your data…[/quote]
I didn’t mean for it to be bias, there’s still a chunk of people that voted in favour of wiki so I don’t think it’s instantly ‘contaminated’ all the data. If ROBLOX really wanted to they can do another survey anyway because apparently this survey doesn’t mean anything

2 Likes

So, I’ve been learning Lua for quite some time, and I got all the basics down and I am starting to learn some of the more advanced things. And I find that such learning needs a lot of perseverance and time. So, what’s my point?

My point is that scripting is really hard to learn and to make it much easier, people would be better off developing games.

Some people have great ideas, but not the skill to do it. That’s the problem that many people face. And since ROBLOX is a platform to develop games and have fun. Why not spice things up and have more people develop games, having a better variety of games, and attracting new users to Roblox?

So, what’s the solution?

Roblox should develop a new way of scripting, sort of like the blocks they use on Scratch. Before ROBLOX, I used to work on scratch, and to be honest, scratch was WAY easier to learn than the scripting on ROBLOX.

Yes, it’s going to take time, but is it worth it?

In my opinion, yes. not only are more people going to develop games. More people would start to play ROBLOX because more games are being created that can match the taste of an exiting game that another cannot provide.

How will they learn code from this?

If you replicate the thing they do on scratch, then I would suggest this:
If you hover over a block, you can see how to script in Lua.
For example:
in scratch, there is a repeat brick, and when you hover it, it will show you how you would put that in real code. In this case, it would show:

for i = 1, number of times you want to repeat this

This topic might sound like a complaint, but it’s not, it’s just a suggestion.

Here’s a quick poll to see if you agree with me or not:

• I agree
  • I disagree

0 voters

Thank you for reading this :smiley:

1 Like