Block User Feature

So recently my friend and I (Skyman772 - staying around his house IRL for the weekend) were discussing the whole message system regarding locking messages to Friends, Best Friends or Everyone and we started discussing how it would be a good idea to be able to block users from messaging, trading or replying to threads (created by the blocker) if the blocker blocks the user.

This feature would assist greatly in preventing harassment (when there’s not a valid reason to report) and online bullying.

I believe in the past there was talk of this feature being in development, so any update from Admins would be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day, guys! :swag:

2 Likes

I also believe that never notifying a user that they’ve been blocked is a good idea. If you tell them that they’ve been blocked, they’ll probably go on an alt and harass you some more – if we do something around the lines of what happens when you send a PM with a cuss word/link, and make it appear the message was sent, but not actually send it, this should work perfectly.

1 Like

I can’t believe we don’t have block yet. It’s such an essential feature and it exists on nearly all social networks. Why not ROBLOX?

I’d like to add it might be great to ‘shadow ban’ the user instead of just a normal ban. They won’t know they’re blocked, everything acts as normal. You can see the users profile and play their games but the blocker would not receive any messages or chats from that user.

2 Likes

[quote] I can’t believe we don’t have block yet. It’s such an essential feature and it exists on nearly all social networks. Why not ROBLOX?

I’d like to add it might be great to ‘shadow ban’ the user instead of just a normal ban. They won’t know they’re blocked, everything acts as normal. You can see the users profile and play their games but the blocker would not receive any messages or chats from that user. [/quote]

So essentially removing the user’s chat bar and replacing it with a fake one, for example? - Or even better; breaking the Players::Chat method entirely, so they can’t chat even using exploits.

I believe what he means is the player blocked will never truly know(unless told), that they have been blocked. If they were to talk in-game and the blocker was in the server - the blocker would simply not see their messages appear in the chat.

I would assume the same sort of functionality on the forums, so the blocker doesn’t see the blocked users forum posts or replies. This could, however, cause issues when trying to understand what’s been said in the thread, and could cause a lack of communication.

I believe what he means is the player blocked will never truly know(unless told), that they have been blocked. If they were to talk in-game and the blocker was in the server - the blocker would simply not see their messages appear in the chat.

I would assume the same sort of functionality on the forums, so the blocker doesn’t see the blocked users forum posts or replies. This could, however, cause issues when trying to understand what’s been said in the thread, and could cause a lack of communication.[/quote]

Ah; I see - only for specific players. I could work something into the Chat CoreScript, but it would obviously need more modifications to work properly.