BlockMesh changes shape when inside a Humanoid

This is a weird one. If you have the following setup:

• Model
  • Humanoid
  • “Head” Part
    • BlockMesh

Your head part will render as a little larger than it should, and be offset so that the bottom face of the mesh aligns with the bottom face of the part…

Both of the Parts and BlockMeshes in this video are identical

Edit: Also it looks like Scale has no effect at all while the head is in the humanoid.

5 Likes

I’ve also noticed that cloning meshes like this one from a player’s character:
hex.png
will result in a default BlockMesh being cloned. As far as I’m aware, there’s no way to clone this kind of mesh from a character, since they don’t have any MeshIDs.

Aren’t head shapes saved to your PC? To get it, you’d just use rbxasset://fonts/headA.mesh or so. there’s from A -> P from what I can see.

If that’s the case, how do you tell which mesh a player is using? If I clone the head (not just the mesh, but the entire part), this happens:
blob.png

Whoa, that’s weird.

Appearantly

and

are the exact same meshes. A cylindermesh with scale 1.3, 1.3, 1.3.

This looks like some weird special case of ROBLOX-needs-fixing.

Though the above head shape is also possible to get using a SpecialMesh with MeshID being rbxasset://fonts/headA.mesh and scale 1, 1, 1.

Seeing that you can’t simply check their head mesh, and no n-game API exists to grab the actual data about a player’s given appearance, you’d have to fetch their characterappearance data from a proxy site. Doing so, I found this: http://www.roblox.com/item.aspx?avid=496972381

1 Like

Those meshes use the properties Bevel and “Bevel Roundness”. Which aren’t scriptable anymore and only work for those heads. They should probably be changed to SpecialMeshes since the heads exist on your local machine anyway.

2 Likes

They really should be changed to SpecialMeshes. With the current system, custom characters and games that require cloning in a second “fake” head will cause users with Heads equipped to become basic cube heads.

3 Likes