BloxSQL Reloaded, mySQL Databases for your Roblox Game!

Marketing and data analysis. This is much easier with the database being located on your servers.

You can achieve the same with just DataStores by hooking up a HTTP request to a server to :SetAsync or :GetAsync handlers.

SQL allows for much more complex and precise data manipulation than a simple key-value based database. There’s also a wide variety of tools that you can employ on a mySQL database to make this process easier.

3 Likes

Exactly. Datastores are “simple” as you mentioned, however, not everyone appreciates that. Some may want more complex data management and flexible control over their game.

2 Likes

Nice to someone remaking my resource, good work. But I do recommend getting a dedicated domain, not a free domain name from FreeNom.

You also want to update your examples, this is a bad idea. Please us a pcall, as this could error out and not return cash.

3 Likes

I’m quite concerned about the use of a .tk domain in the source code. The registrars are very well known to sieze domains that get popular enough and demand money for them while redirecting them to obscene content until the owner pays up. Not comfortable about sending what would be sensetive database login credentials through a 3rd party with not much transparency over it either. Are you able to provide some transparency over your web api?

4 Likes

Hey! I am currently looking into a domain but i didn’t want to spend any money on one unless this was something that was going to be used by people. I will probably purchase one tomorrow! I will also update the post tomorrow with the source code to the API!

1 Like

Problem will be sorted by tomorrow!

1 Like

about the example if it errors out it sends information on the error as all of that is handled in the module.

1 Like

Handles any errors, but when you try to index cash if it doesn’t exist, then its going to say an error in console. That example should still also have a pcall and checks.

1 Like

Maybe throw a success var with it, like how a protected call would.

local success, response = BloxSQL:execute()
1 Like

Updates

• Added source code link (Patreon)

Why did you make this a patron?? This isn’t used by many people yet, so don’t do it at the moment

3 Likes

Just want to mention to anyone who is thinking of using this module you should be aware of the security risks that come with managing an SQL database directly through Roblox instead of creating a REST API with specific endpoints you have full control over, and is much more secure as you’re not sending your server’s login details along with queries over plaintext to a random server somewhere.

Turning on Remote Access to your SQL Server is incredibly dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. The web is not a safe place and botnets can and will try to get access to your database, whether through a specific account you set up for the DB in question or through your install’s root account (much more dangerous). Anyone around the world will have free reign to attempt to crack open your authentication and considering the module doesn’t let you change the port, you’re stuck using the default SQL port (3306) which leaves you more vulnerable.

Not only that, apart from what I said earlier about using a .tk domain and their notorious practices, we have no idea what the server could be doing with the information you are sending over to this mysterious server. The locking of the source code behind a paywall on Patreon means anything could be happening with what you send him. Sending full on SQL commands from Roblox in general is incredibly bad practice (even over a secure connection as bad actors could use your credentials and act like a server on your experience, let alone what the mysterious api endpoint could be doing with the data you send it.)

In the end if you are genuinely serious about using an external database method like SQL in your experiences it’s far better and much more secure to create a REST api your game communicates with on specific endpoints for tasks, locking the database to the server itself and not exposed to the entire internet.

It’s a good start if you’re just getting into starting to share in #resources:community-resources however I think it would be much better to think about other resources that could be made and kept secure within roblox before branching out into the use of HTTPService and other methods for things.

2 Likes

I am sorting out the domain soon once the original creator has setup the hosting for this as he kindly offered! It was also brought to my attention that the source code on this category must be public and not “locked behind a paywall” so that has now been updated and the source code is public.

1 Like

One thing you mentioned is the mySQL port! I will defo push an update allowing users to change the port of the API connection if they wish!

Many open source developers want to get compensated for their work as they are basically working for free. Creating a Patreon and asking people who find use in the project for donations is a perfectly valid thing to do, especially open source developers.

No, what he did is put this behind a PAYWALL, so we can’t even view the source!

1 Like

Uhhh… do you know what GitHub is? He uses it to host the source code, for free. The Patreon is not mandatory. That’s the link right there: GitHub - harrystechuk/BloxSQL: The source code to BloxSQL Reloaded
Please don’t make such assumptions when you clearly haven’t looked at his post.

2 Likes

… its literally been behind a paywall for some time until he was forced to upload it to github

please spend more than 20 seconds looking for context

2 Likes