"Blur fog" - new lighting feature

It’d be really really really nice if we could have a feature that blurs really far away. I had no idea what to call it so I just called it “blur fog” since it’s kind of like how fog is, but with blur.

This would save performance due to not having to make a good background for maps without making it look “dull”, and would also save the builder’s time since he/she would not have to spend too much time making a decent scenery background.

So what do you guys think?

5 Likes

Do you mean depth of field?

2 Likes

I’ve asked before on twitter and one said it’s not something they’re not looking to implement as of now, which is a bit of a shame, depth of field can look really cool. Blur fog is a pretty funny way to call it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure what it’s called haha, but have you played GTA V? You know how really far away objects tends to be blurred?

@maplestick :frowning: it will make maps and games so much more efficient and better looking.

I believe you’re referring to Depth of Field7dfa01dd4ca158f711e2b34a163626b8.jpg

2 Likes

HACK WEEK 2015

THIS

Depth of field is something I’ve wanted to be in Roblox ever since I joined.

1 Like

Going a little off topic, i’m really upset that ROBLOX has gone totally silent on Shaders (besides saying “ehh [that feature] would use up too much data usage”) seeing that they have shown the potential for a functional depth of field. Have they said anything about DOF in particular? I think it would be really neat if DOF could save performance on unfocused chunks.

zeuxcg wrote a really detailed explanation of the challenges of custom shaders here.

2 Likes

DOF will not save performance on unfocused chunks.

But it looks really really sexy!

2 Likes

sooo, we’re still getting DOF then?

1 Like