Boat Sinking System for my Pirate game!

Hi

I’m making an indie pirate game (its just me) and its going great!

So far I’ve modeled and scripted fully functional boats and cannons (With scripting help from the forum of course)

Just thought I’d use this post as a development checkpoint to track my progress. If you want to see updates on my game I’ll post these once in a while!

Today I got my sinking system up and running. Here it is in action:

If you were wondering it uses bodygyro (deprecated but I like it) and bodyposition. This still works with the existing driving system, and when it sinks from sufficient damage, the boat slows down and kicks you out of the driver seat (Stern) If you have any questions feel free to ask!

10 Likes

I think a good idea would be to have the ship be able to sink in a specific direction, just not from the back. An example of this would be if the ship mostly took damage or the last hit it took was from starboard (the right side) then it would sink in the direction of starboard, port (the left side), or stern (the back).

5 Likes

The speed of sinking seems to be constant. Making the speed of sinking faster over time (acceleration) might give off a better effect. I’m not sure how easy that would be with bodygyro and bodyposition though. Looks awesome already!

1 Like

Thanks! I agree. I’ll change the goal to lower down while keeping the dampening and power for the smoothness but acceleration.

1 Like

Very cool!

Same, I can’t seem to get AlignPosition to do what BodyPosition does no matter how hard I try.

1 Like

That is cool ! Sweet job ! I think the sinking looks great !

Are you going to post a link to the game ?

1 Like

Thanks! I’m working on it and it’ll come out soon!

This boat sinking system is VERY good! Nice job on it!

1 Like

Can I ask how you made the cannon, I wanted to make a pirate game but got stuck on the cannon part.

1 Like

of course, it also took me almost 6 months.
there’s two motor6d’s, one that rotates the whole cannon and one that rotates the barrel
use a script and a vehicle seat and check for throttle and steer on the seat, then adjust the motor6d

2 Likes