BodyVelocity being inconsistent

I’m currently scripting a simple airzone where it will push a player towards where the zone is currently facing. I’m pretty satisfied with the current output. I used BodyVelocity to push players around the zone but theres a problem, the BodyVelocity are inconsisnent depending where the zone faces. Specifically, the BodyVelocitys with negative values seems to have more force than the BodyVelocitys with positive values. I want to make sure all bodyvelocity’s are consistent no matter what direction they are facing.

local AirVelocity = Instance.new(BodyVelocity, game.Players.LocalPlayer.Character.PrimaryPart)

AirVelocity.Name = AirVelocity
AirVelocity.MaxForce = (AirZone.CFrame.LookVector) * 7500
AirVelocity.P = 100
AirVelocity.Velocity =  (AirZone.CFrame.LookVector) * 5

Video Reference if needed:

1 Like

Maybe you should consider what the Roblox documentation recommend to do.

3 Likes

Some people still opt for the old ones because the new behavior is not exactly the same.

1 Like

It’s still not the best to use. Relying on behavior that is no longer updated and will be removed soon.

Most of people that still use the old Body Velocity are beginners that follow old Youtute tutorials without knowing that this is a deprecated instance, and the rest of these people are just lazy to try out the new instance as it is different and a bit more complex to manipulate correctly so they prefer to keep using the old one.

Using deprecated instances is absolutely not recommended at all, each new Studio update have the possibility to break some features of these deprecated instances, and if it happen, Roblox isn’t going to fix anything as these shouldn’t be used anymore.

The best thing people can do is to start using the new instance or find another method to do what they are attempting to do.

2 Likes

That’s not the only reason people specifically use deprecated bodymovers, i know how to use both and linears have hugeblatency sometimes

Genuinely curious on some examples of latency you are referring to. I’m currently using a few LinearVelocities for my movement and I have no issues with it whatsoever.

Idk it’s really smooth for me in movement systems, but I’ve heard of cases where people were trying to make knockback using them and it was laggy, maybe its a server thing but there are certain cases where you cant use the linear forces

Better using HumanoidRootPart:ApplyImpulse() to do a knockback, it is easier and do the job well.

3 Likes

It still doesn’t mean you should use it. Roblox is constantly working on optimizing LinearVelocity over the former. It’s new, after all.

They were deprecated in 2017, and they’re still around. They won’t be removed.

It doesn’t matter if they aren’t removed. It’s still unreliable. They won’t be updated, so new separate Roblox updates could affect their functionality. As you can see it clearly states in this documentation that they should not be used for further use.

If people stopped using them so frequently, maybe they would have already been removed by now. The purpose of deprecation is to give people time to migrate over to new features.

well if everyone is still using and reccommending the bodymovers so frequently there’s a problem with the other ones ain’t it?

Unfortunately I will have to repeat myself. BodyVelocity was removed for a reason, even in the original post it’s been reported as inconsistent, which isn’t anyone’s fault but OP’s. They should not be using this in new code.

People are recommending BodyVelocity because they are more familiar with it. I’ve heard it been said that it is impossible to use LinearVelocities WITH gravity, but that’s not true. Just using ForceLimitMode set to PerAxis solves the problem. Soon enough LinearVelocity will be up to par with BodyVelocity, Roblox is just taking a while. Who knows, maybe it already is, people just aren’t trying hard enough.

you quite literally just admitted that right now bodyvelocity is better and we should use something inferior while we wait for it to become superior, gravity isn’t even the issue here

I never said it wasn’t. It’s just unreliable. Don’t use it, it’s not going to improve anymore than what it is now. But LinearVelocity will. That’s why OP is having problems. You cannot complain when you’ve already been warned. Twice.

Soon, it will be removed, so you’ll have to use a substitute anyways.

Can you try linear velocity, body velocity is more consistent only at small durations in my experience

1 Like

no, it wont lol, roblox won’t do something that will instantly break multiple older games, plus I know big games that use bodyvelocity instead of linears

I repeat myself for the third time:

what about old games that aren’t being maintained but are still fun? those will be affected, plus, I don’t remember any instances where roblox actually removed a deprecated feature