Bowling Pin Halts Mid-Air After Being Struck by a Bowling Ball

Hello! I’ve been facing an issue with specific pin meshes that don’t behave realistically in terms of physics. When the pins are hit by the ball, they initially move in the ball’s direction but quickly lose velocity, continuing to spin until gravity eventually pulls them down to the pin deck. Despite various attempts such as adjusting gravity, customizing physical properties, and even adding an invisible part beneath the pin to alter its center of gravity, I haven’t been able to resolve the issue. Previously, I used different, albeit less realistic, pin meshes that worked correctly. I’ve attached two videos: one showcasing the problematic behavior and the other demonstrating how it should realistically. Take not of the head (front center) pin and how it just stops.

2 Likes

Maybe have a (slightly heavier) part that’s welded to the bottom of the pin to make it more heavier on the bottom?

2 Likes

I have messed around with this but this only causes the pins to tip upwards like one of those wobbly wood dolls.

2 Likes

Well I’m not really sure since some good bowling games like PBA Bowling Challenge have some weird pin action physics

2 Likes

Check out Bowling Paradise on Roblox if you can, they’re going for the same level of realism that I am and they do not have that issue, in fact their pin physics are spectacular.

1 Like

They’re probably not using Roblox’ physics for it. You could try set networkownership, and set the physics step rate to be adaptive

1 Like

I have already set network ownership, although I haven’t set it to adaptive.

workspace.PhysicsSteppingMethod=adaptive

This doesn’t seem to help much. Something I came across that improved a little (but is a bit of an ugly hack) is applying a force in the exact negative direction whenever a ball hits a pin.