Breeze into Wind! [Fully Released]

I think varying and random wind speeds should be a built in feature imo, but this is still neat.

1 Like

We where told years ago when grass came out, more features would be added, like height, color, and other decorations for terrain, but it seems these features where canceled unfortunately.

1 Like

This is really cool, canā€™t wait to see creators use this to enhance their experiences! Wish we could have something similar to this just with editing the directions of waves.

2 Likes

@LightBeamRays Itā€™s completely awesome, but one issue I find is that when you set the wind speed for the cloud movement to be noticeable it is insanely fast for the grass.

For example if I set the wind to interact with the grass at 5sps the ā€˜swirlingā€™ aspect of the clouds actually makes it look like the clouds are moving about 90 degrees different to the windsock.

If I set the wind speed to about 50sps itā€™s like your first video, the grass is just whipping sideways and the cloud speed is noticeable.

Will there be a way to tune these values? In the real world clouds can move at 200 mph, even up to 300 mph in the jet stream, while on the ground the wind speed might actually be 0 mph.

7 Likes

holy cow, this is awesome
time to play around with it

2 Likes

You just set it to jupiter-like hurricane force winds, lol. It does look cool though.

4 Likes

Glad to see that Roblox is finally adding more realistic features to allow for more advanced terrain / details!

2 Likes

I didnā€™t even think about this, but now Iā€™m really curious to see if this is the case

2 Likes

Looks good! Canā€™t wait to see whats to come.

Wow! Very nice! This would make roblox more realistic!

1 Like

I absolutely love this new implementation of simulation for Roblox. I myself made my own weather module for my game to simulate weather, but this is game changing.

Iā€™m honestly so excited and canā€™t wait for this to actually be released!

3 Likes

The plugin/widget looks like itā€™s doing an aerodynamic simulation with the airport wind flags.
Hopefully, the aerodynamic properties are on their way too, I canā€™t wait to simulate wind for flags. :grinning:

3 Likes

Now can we get some terrain grass improvements to match? Specific color, painting with it, length, decal usedā€¦

1 Like

Will this effect unanchored blocks?

EX: like if you turn the wind speed to the max

Would it send unanchored blocks (light/small) flying?

3 Likes

Really nice update, and one that has been long awaited for!

1 Like

(+ @Alex645ca, @glitchifyed)

Terrain absolutely needs performance improvements and we have (multiple) projects to address this. Itā€™s a massive effort that will take substantial time, so I canā€™t share more details nor a timeline at this time. However, I can say weā€™re very aware of the performance issues of our Terrain technology and serious about improving it.

8 Likes

+cc-ing:

Weā€™re adding the ability to customize grass length as a first step for grass customization (announced for mid-2023 on the Roblox Creator Roadmap). We want to provide much, much more flexibility in the future, but these features depends on large endeavors to be completed first, so I donā€™t have anything concrete to announce at this time.

19 Likes

Weā€™re working on a fix. Thanks for reporting this bug!

2 Likes

+ @SynthwaveSpirit (re: particle collisions)

This is on our radar, and Wind on particles is a step in this direction. However, we have other projects that we need to work on first before physical particles.

5 Likes

Yes, itā€™s live! But note that the feature is still in early Beta and we have bugs to fix.

1 Like