Breeze into Wind! [Fully Released]

A question not so many people asked, is can this new feature be implemented into meshes? I haven’t worked with wind “forces” before, and I want to use wind with mesh parts as tree leaves. Let’s say: with the tree models on the new city template.

2 Likes

I like this for the ability to make creations more realistic. I would like if there were a particle emitter of the wind. Having it so it still pushes the grass, other particles, etc. just that its not Global but in a part.

Allowing character skills/abilities to have a more environmental effect. In terms of powering up in a game having a wind affect around the user like Super Saiyan. Another idea is what One Punch and My Hero Academia does with strong punches having a wind effect.

2 Likes

All of these can already be done in Studio with simple scripts and without much work. A wind system is harder though since it requires quite a lot of math and tweaking to get particles and terrain to interact with it.

3 Likes

I think the biggest thing to see to really elevate environments now would be to allow us to use custom decorations that instance the same way as grass (i.e. various custom ground foliage), as well as a native version of windshake built into the new GlobalWind feature.

7 Likes

It’s a skinned mesh, if you enable CoreGui in settings then you can copy the WorldModel. You can find the code at \BuiltInPlugins\Optimized_Embedded_Signature

4 Likes

Great feature, can’t wait to play around with it!

2 Likes

Great update, my only complaints are that the widget is kinda forced, you can’t just manually set GlobalWind and also it doesn’t work on water.

Also: when are we getting a water update :(
(if one is actually in the works rn please add gerstner waves + changing water color in diff regions, and maybe even custom terrain textures ???!?!!)

7 Likes

I’m glad to see Wind finally added to Roblox! Hopefully, soon we can see the wind affect things like water wave direction and magnitude!

1 Like

This is an awesome update. But it is a shame we can’t apply wind to water. I think that in general, water is very outdated and could do with a major overhaul.

3 Likes

Yooo that a great work, that looks very epic!

1 Like

I am assuming this doesn’t work the same interior to exterior? If there is a raging storm outside, I don’t want my fireplace inside to be swirling fire everywhere.

1 Like

I like it, though I don’t really play roblox as I’m in a indie game studio, but it would be nice if you would port some of the cpu code used in the engine over to the gpu? It’ll hopefully help with some performance issues and adds the possibility of raytracing/pathtracing, and it’ll remove some burdens from the cpu. And would also love to see you add the functionality of making Shader code natively with roblox studio, as that in itself will open up a lot of possibilities.

5 Likes

That is so great , I remember seeing the wind stuff on 2018’s hack week. I loved it when I saw it the first time, now its finally there!

2 Likes

Okay, I’m being totally honest right now.

This year probably is gonna be Roblox’s greatest year. They’ve introduced so much stuff to the developers, introduced so much new stuff to the players and even getting better. Of course, they’re even listening to us now which is like me being “Never in the next decade of life would’ve I thought Roblox would get this better”.

But hey, the updates are getting really better, and for this update, I think it’s gonna make Roblox a whole lot more realistic. Thank you for this amazing update!

3 Likes

I think that this is great, but building on similar things and others have said:

• customisable grass (local colour painting and length
  • water flow direction
5 Likes

finally we needed this so much

edit: what about water flow direction and wind sounds though?

6 Likes

this is really cool, I would love to see features in it that would allow us to apply wind animations to more than just grass and particles such as modeled plants and trees.

4 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome would be nice if we could use our own grass textures etc or have it applied to trees. Another thing what would be nice is water direction, or the ability to change the direction of sections of water.

I imagine this could open up some possibilities, like paragliders or parashoots, wing suits, aircraft. Even for shooters that have focus more on realism, or a hunting game.

5 Likes

It would be cool if we could somehow have assemblies/parts be affected by wind without scripts.

2 Likes

Alright, time to update Castle Period

Great update, Roblox!
This will help my game to become more appealing as it was inspired by Genshin Impact (not a mid game), and i wanted to create the gameplay accurate to that, but it’s only inspired! So no copyright is intended!

And… You took a step in the right direction. And I support that.
Anyways, following with the topic, THANK YOU FOR THIS, ROBLOX! Just, can we have wind effects? Like visuals? Breeze VFX? Okay, thanks!

1 Like