Broken Rig Behavior

Someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong here… I swear this used to work before.

In this video I show myself creating a simple rig and animating it. On the first pass, you can see everything is wrong. But once I anchor the root, the rig works as intended. BUT in practice, anchoring the root is not a solution. The animations still have issues once the root is ultimately unanchored again later on. This is seemingly new behavior, I have multiple completely unanchored rigs that work just fine. I have also tried multiple combinations of plugins (both rigging and animating) including default studio tools. Am I crazy or did something with Motor6D change that broke this?

Video of my process here.

Here’s a file of another attempt I made after studio crashed while saving the one in the video:
rip.rbxl (29.3 KB)

3 Likes

Did you try adding an AnimationController or a humanoid?

2 Likes

Yeah, same behavior unfortunately :frowning:

2 Likes

Hmm.

Have you tried the stock animation editor?

Another thing, I noticed the “Mid” part is the root part, have you tried making a duplicate of it then making it transparent, similar to HumanoidRootParts?

2 Likes

Hello darkness my old friend…

Edit: I know it’s a different rig but you can see there I’m moving left and it’s manipulating the entire thing. And yes I did try the stock animator as I mentioned.

2 Likes

Weird. Think you could upload a copy as a .rbxl file?

2 Likes

Good call, I just threw it on the first post under the video link.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll take a look in a bit when I get some free time.

2 Likes

Hey there, took a look. Rest assured, you aren’t going crazy. It’s likely a bug.

I have no idea what is going on but I think it might have to do with how the movement is calculated if that makes sense. What you are doing with the movement is technically the same as normal, just the whole model moves around the part instead of the part staying stationary while being rotated.

As you mentioned before, if you try to anchor the root part while animating, it works as intended. Try creating the animation while the root part is anchored, then unanchor when done and see if it still works as intended.

1 Like

I mentioned that originally, I don’t think I was clear though. Animating anchored works fine but as soon as you play that animation in game on an unanchored rig its completely wrong.

1 Like

Oh gotcha.

No idea then. I tried making my own rig using RigEdit and with another plugin to no avail. No idea where to go from here.

If you have permission, you could try and post in #bug-reports.

I took a look at the 477 release notes and a few changes were made to the humanoid and to animations so I’m wondering if those changes have anything to do with it?

1 Like

I just managed to get it to work! Looks like mass has some weird impact on the rig now. By making everything massless besides the root part, things are looking normal again.

5 Likes

Tried it on a few other things, looks like that’s the new normal. Thanks for looking at this!

1 Like