Bubble Module - Distortion Effect

A simple module for making distortion effects. It can still render particles and glass but some visual errors might happen, I cannot fix those errors.

Example Video:

Assets

Module: BubbleModule.rbxm (42.0 KB)

Place: Place.rbxl (87.8 KB)

225 Likes

Wow that looks super cool! I’ve seen that effect with shaders in other engines but never in Roblox.

It might be possible to make it even better by getting rid of the specular highlights by going into blender and messing with the lighting normals. Cool project!

15 Likes

Could you make a github for it?

10 Likes

What’s the point of having a repo for a smaller project like this?

14 Likes

I’m guessing this works by tweening the transparency of a glass part rendered in front of the camera. If this is true, the effect won’t work on low graphics.

18 Likes

Thank you! If i can make a mesh like that I’ll be sure to update this module.

4 Likes

Sorry man I never used github.

5 Likes

you can contribute to the project by reporting issues and requesting changes you made

6 Likes

I wonder if I could use this to create a heat wave distortion, the kind that happens when it’s like 100+ degrees outside

1 Like

But… this post already exists.

1 Like

This is amazing, exactly what i was searching for back when i made this post (https://devforum.roblox.com/t/air-distortion-effect/2304335) but could not find a solution until now. Thank you!

1 Like

I didn’t experiment with other meshes yet, but every single mesh is usable for this effect. One will most likely work like that.

2 Likes

No problem, I’m glad I helped you!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I’m curious on why that is relevant when it comes to Roblox resources, but tbf I’m not very familiar with github yet so you’re likely correct.

But I, personally, have never found Roblox community resources through searching on github, I usually just look for it here in DevForum.

3 Likes

Your conditions are extremely poorly set up to use it as a point of evidence. Not only is “devforum” a very vague term that few search by itself, but you’re comparing it to a platform for all programmers, not just Roblox programmers. Of course GitHub will be more searched than “devforum,” it’s essentially second nature for a lot of developers. My point is that, with the small caliber of this project, there is no logical reason for the developer to maintain a repository when they can simply reply to questions, comments, and feedback in one unified location.

10 Likes

What kind of comparison is this :joy:

Of course github is searched more, it’s used by a lot more people and for all kinds of different use cases. The forum is a lot more specific and is made for one relatively small community compared to the fact that github is made for programmers as a whole regardless of platform or engine.

2 Likes

Are you able to make this work with Swimmable Part; High Performance Water?

1 Like

Honestly looks amazing. Can’t believe how ROBLOX has come so far. All of us developers are creating so many things for the players/gamers on ROBLOX.

3 Likes

yes you can, but a lot of errors can happen because of transparency issues, unless you make the part fully visible.

1 Like