Bug In Camera Of New Player Scripts

[Update: Looks like they may have reverted back to the old player scripts, so you will only be able to test this bug with the new player scripts.]

I have discovered a bug that is related to the new camera scripts. The problem goes away if I put in the old camera scripts.

1. I have a custom StarterCharacter that is all mesh parts, including the head. It was custom built and has the same parts as an R15 rig, and the same motor6Ds, which were added using the Custom Character Creator plugin.

2. For some reason, when I start a game via Start: Local Server, the spawned player camera gets stuck in first person mode sometimes, and it jitters in and out like crazy. When the character jumps, or goes into free fall, this error also happens.

3. If I reset my character, then all these problems go away, and everything works as normal.

To Reproduce: (bug only occurs with the new Player Scripts, not the old ones)

Repo.rbxl (69.7 KB)

1. Use the attached repo file. Note this has a custom character model in StarterCharacter.

2. In Studio, press Start: Local Server: 1 Player

3. Notice that during the initial Free Fall, the camera goes crazy as described above. Make the character jump, and you’ll see the same camera errors. Go up the ramp, and drop into a free fall, and you will see those errors again.

4. Step on the red kill brick to reset your character. Notice how everything now works fine with no errors.

Notes:

1. I have another custom mesh model this is much more slender than this test model, and the problems are even worse. Upon spawning the camera goes crazy when the character is idle. Moving the character via WASD brings the camera back to normal momentarily until I stop again.

2. My guess is that your new code makes some assumptions about the head, or the expected dimensions of the body parts.

1 Like

@AllYourBlox

I’m not able to reproduce this running this repro file against the new scripts that were deployed this morning. Everything appears as expected to me in the Local Server + 1 Player test, while jumping or falling. Is the character I’m seeing in this file supposed to look oddly jointed? I see the arms being inside the upper torso, and the leg parts are all separated with gaps between them. Is this as intended?

Wait, nevermind, I know exactly what this is and it has now also been fixed for the next release. This is a bug that was specifically affecting the ray cast to the character head in poppercam, and this fix was not live this morning.

3 Likes

Great, thanks for the fix. I will test it again, once the new code comes out.

I thought it might have something to do with the head since my custom character uses a MeshPart for the head instead of a traditional Part with a SpecialMesh.

And sorry for the odd character model. This rig was actually intended for a different set of mesh parts, but I made a simpler model for the repo case. My actual model is much skinnier, almost like a stick figure, and the problems were much more pronounced and visible - even during idle - not sure why. Hopefully your ray casts can handle a character with thin mesh parts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.