Buggy explorer dragging while in script editor

Reproduction Steps
Open any script and then try to reparent an object within the explorer window by dragging.

Expected Behavior
I expect to be able to drag the element wherever I want

Actual Behavior
Dragging the element freezes ~a second after you start dragging.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date Last Experienced: 2021-10-26 00:10:00 (+01:00)

7 Likes

What operating system are you on? I cannot reproduce this on Windows 11 on the latest Studio build.

I am also having this issue. I am on an M1 MacBook Air. This issue started happening when I upgraded to macOS Monterey yesterday.

Every click in Studio is delayed by like 3 seconds. I can’t open scripts unless I right-click and press “Open.” Overall, the whole script editor and explorer window is completely laggy and almost unusable now.

1 Like

It seems there’s currently a bug with all apple devices right now, making a lot of things useless unless you’re viewing the viewport; while you’re editing scripts, interacting with the explorer, properties, or any other widget for that matter is bugged.

For me it kinda slows down my workflow, but clicking out of scripts onto the viewport is a workaround.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a Monterey bug, I’m on big sur and have been experiencing the issue

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We already have a ticket filed for this issue in our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

Hey everyone, sorry for the late response here, but I wanted to circle back. Is this still an issue?

Nope :+1:

Is still an issue for me on an M2 macbook / latest version.

1 Like

Hmm, ok, letting the engineers know

Hello, I have this slated to look at in January.

There are two possibilities here, and both are good news:

1. It’s an easy enough fix that we just do it. I already have some suspicion as to what’s happening here.
  2. It’s not an easy fix, but luckily we plan on doing some enormous refactoring to the internals of the Explorer in the coming year so not only will this very very likely not happen (if my suspicion to #1 is correct, then it definitely won’t be), but if it does then fixing and diagnosing it might be easier.

You will get a response once I know more.

In the meantime it would be really helpful if you could acquire microprofiler dumps with your repro case.

Going to tag @DataBrain so they get notified as Issue Is not happening to me.

I put some time into figuring out this issue and I can’t reproduce. We suspect we might have fixed this recently, can anyone here who this used to happen to confirm?