'Build your own' suit template

As a pet project I’ve recently been working on a modular ‘build your own’ style suit template. It works by utilising layers, allowing you to choose the colour of each component (or whether to have it at all). You can choose between different jackets, shirts, ties, handkerchiefs, buttons and pinstripes.
It’s a work in progress, but here’s a GIF below of a few combinations I drafted up (might need to click on it):

I’m hoping to add more options to customise it like different thickness of pinstripe lines, open jackets (as opposed to closed) loose shirts/ties, more logos, more colour variations for existing components and really anything else I can think to change later down the line.

If you want to give a go at building your own I’ve uploaded a .psd and .pdn via dropbox:

PSD (Photoshop): Dropbox - Customizable suit Feb 17.psd - Simplify your life
PDN (paint.net): Dropbox - Customizable suit Feb 17.pdn - Simplify your life

Small side note

As I don’t own Photoshop, the only way I was able to create a psd was through a plugin for paint.net, I have a feeling that the plugin doesn’t correctly maintain layer properties or transparencies when opened in photoshop so there may be some inaccuracies.

71 Likes

A commission that I’m doing for @Crykee will involve doing exactly this (except with a Kimono).

So hopefully I should be able to see this modular template style actually have some functionality within the context of ROBLOX.

2 Likes

Exactly the thought I had!

2 Likes

Aren’t there 4,558,916,400,000,000,000,000 ((255^3)^3) potential options?

2 Likes

Given that there are more than 3 sections to choose (Jacket, Shirt, Tie, Buttons, Handkerchief, Stripes) it’s more like ((255^3)^6) and that’s not even accounting for all the extra options I want to let people configure later down the line.

Serious talk though, this has already come up as a problem in discussion between me and Crykee in regards to the Kimono I’m doing for him (see earlier post) as the more options I allow means that the templates which need to be uploaded (and have their ID’s inputted in scripts) goes up exponentially.

Just by having the option to choose between 5 outer layer colours, 5 inner layer colours and 2 sash styles the number of templates for the shirt needed would be 50 if you account for every combination, then there’s the pants bringing the total uploads up to 75 (as there’s no sash on the pants).
So even with those simple number of combinations you’re already looking at a LOT of templates and we’ve already had to round down the options to 3 colours for each.

3 Likes

And that’s why people either use a limited amount of static choices, or go with a bot that creates the combination when needed.

This is really cool!

1 Like

Yea, in discussions with a another dev about this, the only real feasible/practical solution is to use a bot.

We also discussed that people could easily steal their creations off the site and not pay for them, so instead, make them buy a devprod first then prompt them to buy the clothing for free.

I have just edited the download links in the main post.

ADDED:

• Open Suit options: Also includes options for belt and pants (not the actual pants, just the pants on the shirt)
  • More colour options: Maroon suit, white suit, grey shirt, belt colours, green tie, blue tie, dark and light pants
  • More stripe options: Different widths & brightness + options for tie stripes
  • Many extra add-ons: Sparkletime texture, black collar, stronger shading option
  • Plus other little bits I probably forgot to mention

So yeah, there is a lot here now and I added most of what I wanted to. I want this suit to fit well with different hats though so please post me ideas for colours and I will swiftly add them.

Additionally I will also release an alternate version of the template later down the line where the shading for each component is on its own separate layers, meaning the block colours are just isolated on their own layer allowing people to easily make their own colour combos.

TO ADD:

• More colour options (please suggest)
  • Aforementioned ‘alternate template’
  • Black lines add-on
1 Like

Are you going to be doing this for coats too, like uniforms and such? This is awesome :smiley:

3 Likes

At some stage I want to do this sort of thing for the purpose of group uniforms and release it as public domain for groups to use.

Granted, I’m debating about whether this is a bad idea because as it is war groups are already littered with the same themes over and over that are just tasteless and lack any real identity. A template like that added in to the mix would not help that problem…

1 Like

Seems to work fine for me. Nice work!

Photoshop screenshot

Lookin’ good

Bonus tip:

If you put an open suit on top of a closed suit it makes the closed suit function as a waistcoat…this was definitely done on purpose :rolling_eyes:

(GIF in main post updated)

3 Likes

Have pants ever been made for this?

This was 3 years ago, so I’m highly doubting it :slight_smile:

These are awesome! Thank you for letting everyone use these templates!

Woah, I’ve never seen something like this.
It looks great, I love it.

I would love to see you do this with other clothing. If I may ask, how long did this take you to make?

EDIT: Never even realized the date, haha whoops.

1 Like

I did actually, but as pointed out by others: This thread is from a long time ago, and as such I don’t have the templates on this pc. I think the template for the pants is knocking around somewhere on an old laptop of mine though.

I could probably go to the effort of pulling it from there if anybody is really that interested, just don’t expect me to go to any lengths to fix up any of it though; the pants were put together quite rushedly.

4 Likes

I would love to get pants themplate for this even tho if it broken i could fix it myself hope you can find the pants themplate :relieved: