Builders, do you still put detail into areas players cannot access?

As a builder, do you put detail into your builds at areas that players cannot access? For example, imagine if a player is only going to be accessing the inside of a building. Would you still put in the effort to make the exterior look decent?

(I understand that this is for aesthetic purposes), but I’ve been having a conflict with my inner self about whether I should build the exterior of my build.

5 Likes

Yes - as long as it doesn’t impact performance and doesn’t take too much time. Make the building first, then make the areas outside the building that they can see. Use as little resources as possible so it doesn’t create unnecessary lag.

3 Likes

I think the golden rule here is to not waste your time. Anything the players cannot see (not necessarily things they don’t have have access to, as those are two different things) should not be built unless it improves something (substantially) on your end. If the players can’t see it, there’s no reason making it.

2 Likes

If the map, setting, and narrative makes sense to have a background, definitely. Three examples with very different methods and purposes can be seen in the 2018 Egg Hunt:

The first example being in the final boss fight arena:

In this example, the narrative made sense that the cave would be a massive network much like the conjoining level The Undernest - but we didn’t want to waste memory usage so @Beeism (I think it was her?) came up with this clever method of laying two parts with decals over the openings to give it the massive expanse we wanted the cavern to feel like. With some low-detail “foreground” assets like the crane and broke rail it paired very well. The arena itself is actually fairly small but doesn’t feel like it.

The second example is Hardboiled City:

For this example, we had to take a more 3D approach due to buildings being seen from many angles and how we wanted a more “dynamic” movement to perspective of major buildings and to make the city feel larger than just want the player sees and partly also for navigation based on landmarks. Much like how in the boss arena example, except we wanted the player to feel thrown into the middle of a busy city.

The third examples is the Warped Space map:

This approach was completely different because we wanted a more tangible use to background objects than just visually. The large majority of the map is technically inaccessible unless the player has movement enhancing items, then the entire map is accessible, even the ugly low-detailed areas. But we made the ugly parts still useful because we hid extra Golden Eggs in those areas to tip the player off and say “congrats, we didn’t want you here but you got here anyways so here you go.” It makes the player feel good.

Though all of these methods came after weeks of planning and building the actual gameplay areas, so Cloakedyoshi and EmeraldSmash are correct in telling you to focus on the main parts first. I’m only here to tell you that the extra detail put into out-of-bounds areas can still go a long way to how your players experience your game aesthetically :smiley:

20 Likes

@Aotrou Wow, that’s an interesting perspective. Looks like the answer really depends. These three tips were actually all I needed. Thanks.

@cloakedyoshi @EmeraldSlash It is definitely more important to focus on the main parts, thanks for the suggestions!

3 Likes

I believe that if the player can see it at all, it needs detail. Even if it’s really far away, or a place where they can glitch into.

If there is 0 way they can access the place, it shouldn’t be detailed. It’s a waste of bricks, and just unnecessary work. If you feel it’ll make yourself feel better, go ahead. But from a player standpoint, it’s not needed.

2 Likes

It depends, i usually like to do Both stuff, since my approach is always to do sandbox maps with immersive interiors so from my experience when i have wanted to do an interior Building i have always wanted to do exterior Details, lets say if your making an Apartment floor the only way to look outside is probably just one window so your gonna have to put something in that Field Of View that window gives you, if it is an urban environment then some detailed buildings would do the job, I know making Buildings and windows and doors its a tedious process but theres a plugin somewhere that cuts Windows and doors in your parts (And it doesnt left CSG parts)

But if it isnt an Urban environment the best way to give immersion is a really long landscape, not a baseplate but some Hills, the hills that are close and some mountains of triangle parts really far do really make a difference.

Just to clarify I never said you shouldn’t focus on out of bounds :wink:

Not accessible is not the same as not visible (like I wrote, maybe in a too-complex way lol).

1 Like

You should just focus on things the player can see and can make out. The further away you are, the less detail you need to use. The closer the player can be to the area, the better it needs to be designed. Just do not waste time making areas the player cannot physically see at all (such as the interior for a locked building with windows, just make a few small rooms and corridors) but do work on things the player could see if they tried (such as the entrance to a building from a blocked alley that can be seen when the camera is moved behind it)

Maybe a cool easter egg? x)

Yes, however, it matters on what players can’t access maybe it’s surrounding scenery but let’s say you want skyscrapers or whatever. I’ve always made sure the surroundings look nice

From my experience,

The more games you make, the less un-needed detail you create everywhere else.
But most of the time, I can’t help myself from putting more abnormal detail than needed, especially whilst modeling.

Yea, I also always thought it mattered on what game it is. Like if it were a showcase or a FPS shooting game, etc. But yea when you make more games people tend to think more about the concept rather than the little things (Like surroundings and stuff)

1 Like

Detail over everything.

Even if the area is inaccessible. I ALWAYS make sure to add tons of stuff there for the lols.
Because.
Hell with Lag
Hell with player experiance
Hell with your potato computer
and hell with my potato computer during editing.

Its gotten quite a big issue for me since I cant competently edit stuff…Unioning can solve this tho.

1 Like

Try making your detail levels on studio from High to Low, theres an option for that on Studio Settings, you will have less draw distance but still be able to edit smoothly.

One thing I thought was very interesting about the Egg Hunt was just how bad the lobby looked from the outside, but you guys knew people would get out there considering there was the @buildthomas Easter Egg sign out there, and tons of Eggs. Getting out of the lobby in Egg Hunt was still the best thing I did in Egg Hunt, and I completed the Egg Hunt to it’s fullest. Also, with the help of the Umbrella, it was neat accessing areas I wasn’t supposed to see (Like how the tail light of the cab was sticking through the back cave wall on the outside edge of the map or if you floated below the map you could find the bird.) and being able to talk about those kinds of things with various Egg Hunt Devs and learn about how the map worked (the map was shown client side to my understanding, in that both the broken version and non-broken version were in the same place at the same time, but some players saw the broken version and other’s did not. This was my understanding at least.) That being said, the icing on the cake would’ve been if you could actually sit on the benches outside! Or at the very least stand on them, not walk through them, lol.

We actually didn’t intend for players to get to out of bounds areas, we just rewarded them if they did so because - as you clearly show: it makes for a more fun and memorable experience if the player thinks they outsmarted the devs.

Thanks for confirming that :wink:

2 Likes

Me and my friends rammed our heads into the ceiling for hours lmao.

1 Like

I without a doubt would advise you to make the exterior look nice, even if it’s only seen through a small window.

The whole build comes together in the end, and the more “wow” factors you have, the more intriguing it will be for the player, which in turn will lead to them playing your game more often, and for longer periods of time.

Every detail matters. If you see room for improvement, go for it.

If they aren’t going to see it then I don’t bother, but if they are going to be able to see it but not access it then I put the same amount of detail in as the rest of the map.