Building a Stage for Build a Boat Information

Hello Builders, Want to Build a Stage for Build a Boat for Treasure?

Before you start building your stages, I just want to give you guys some advice on what you can and cannot do, what to expect, give a tips, etc.

Before I get started, I must remind you that I am not an official developer for Build a Boat, but I do have a lot of experience with building and helping with stages in the experience. Reading this post may increase the chances of getting your stage getting added but it wont guarantee the acceptance of your stage.
This is not an official guide, and may be outdated or contain inaccurate information

Before You Start:

First things first, you will need a stage template. There are 2 you can choose from:

• The Normal Stage Template. This is the template used by most stages. It’s official, it’s a straight path, and give you the highest chance of your stage getting accepted

• The Doughnut Stage Template. A “Doughnut Stage” is the nickname given to stages that diverge at the start and reunite at the end. The Doughnut stage template is not official but any imperfections will later be fixed by chillthrill709. You do not need to give credit to anyone for using it

Keep in mind that your stage absolutely needs:

• A Unique Theme: An overall design. This can be based on a genre, location, idea, and so on. This will help your stage stand out in terms of appearance.

• A Unique Functionality: Something the stage does to the player or boat. This will help your stage stand out and be different from the rest in terms of gameplay.

• Obstacles: Objects that damages the player’s boat when they collide with it. These could also have an unique functionality

Getting Started:

Once you have obtained the stage template, you can find it in your toolbox in Roblox Studio. You can drag it onto the baseplate or just click on it to place it. When editing your stage, there are some things you need to remember:

• Don’t Edit What you aren’t Supposed to
    You can remove the red arrow in the middle of the stage if you don’t want it there. You can change the color of the water and sand and you can place parts on top of the water as long as you turn their collision off.

(Here is an example of changes that you are allowed to make)
    You can’t remove the water or sand entirely. You can’t change the size of the water or sand. You can’t make changes to the cave entrances at all. These need to remain the same because the stage might end up being unplayable if you make prohibited edits to them.
    NotOkChanges
    (Here is an example of what you cannot do)

• You are Allowed to Collaborate
    Feel free to invite a friend or group to help out with your stage. Make sure when you submit though that you credit the people who helped with the stage. Try not to credit people who didn’t help and try not to invite too many people.

While You Build:

Try to keep these tips in mind.

• Turn On Anchor
    Stages are mostly static, so turn on anchor while building.

• Turn Off Join Surfaces
    This simple task can save a lot of time. Stages do not need parts to be welded since everything should already be anchored.

• Avoid Using Meshes, Unions, and Decals
    Meshes, unions, and decals take a while to load in and sometimes don’t even load on weak devices.
    If you do end up using meshes, unions, and decals, try to keep it to a minimum. If you use meshes and unions that are purely decoration and/or aren’t intended for the player to explore while in the stage, use a square collision box. This helps the server performance.

• Avoid Using Free Models
    Free models are known for containing unwanted things like redirect scripts and backdoors for exploits/admin menus. Some free models might be stolen from other games and some free models might get Build a Boat in trouble for using them.
    If you do end up using free models, please let us know.

• Don’t Script the Stage
    Not only are scripts not needed, I wouldn’t recommend them. If you want something to be done in a specific manner, your best bet is to just mention it when submitting or put a comment in a script.

• Reset Pivot When you are Done Making Edits
    If Utilized incorrectly, pivot points could get annoying to work with so if you are done using a set pivot point, so please reset it to make revamping it easier.

Other Useful Information:

• Stages have a part limit of 2500 parts. You can go over this limit but try to keep it under or around the limit
  • Your stage cannot reference other people’s work. For example, a Jailbreak or a Piggy stage or references to those experiences aren’t allowed.
  • Stages can have Roofs. make sure you turn off collision for parts on the roof
  • Stages need a Mask/Mouth (a section that goes over the entrance and exit). Make sure you turn off collision for parts on the mask
  • You can use meshes and Unions to a limited degree. Try not to go overboard
  • Stages can have sound effects and music, as long as the music or those sound effects were made by You or Roblox and are original & appropriate
  • Do not put letters or numbers in your stage

Submitting your Stage:

Before you submit, make sure your stage has a theme, functionality, and obstacles. Also make sure that it doesn’t break too many guidelines.

Make sure you mention:

• The Theme of the Stage is so we can name it properly and use an appropriate reference when remastering the stage
  • The Functionality of the Stage so its easier for us to understand what you intended for the stage to do
  • The Roblox username of Anyone Who Helped with the stage so we can credit and reward them as well
  • Whether it Used Assets Off the Library and what they are so we know what to replace when remastering the stage

If you see the stage was bought by chillthrill709, try to keep that information to yourself and don’t take it as confirmation that your stage will be added. You can submit your stage in the Chillz Studio Discord, which can be found on the game page, or you can turn your stage into a model and publish it on the Roblox Library. If you submit your stage as an experience, make sure you enable copying so it can be extracted from the place.

That’s All I Have for You

One last reminder: I’m not an official developer and that this information doesn’t guarantee that your stage will be added to Build a Boat.

Get Building and Good Luck!

7 Likes

Stage Templates

Default Stage Template:

Doughnut Stage Template:

Submitting the Stage

Uploading the Stage

Step 1 ) - Group the entire stage, right click and “Save to Roblox…”

Step 2 ) - Put “Build a Boat” and “Stage” somewhere in the title. Make sure you put the functionality and other helpers in the description if you do not plan on submitting it on discord. Make sure you enable copying so we can use it. You do not need to change genre or creator, nor do you need to enable comments.
(Here’s an example of what we want)

And you are done. If you are under 13 or do not use discord, you don’t need to do anything else. Uploading on the library alone does mean it will take longer for us to find your stage, so I highly recommend you submit the stage on discord instead.

Submitting the Stage on Discord

Once you have uploaded your stage, you need to find the model’s link and copy that. The model could be found in your create page or in your inventory. In the discord server, there should be a channel named #:thread:-stage-submissions. In this channel, send the link and give all the detail that you think will be helpful. If that channel is not there, then sending the stage in #:hammer:-creations or #:bulb:-suggestions should also be fine.

When submitting, make sure you give up the following information:
  • The stage’s theme - Tell us what the stage is supposed to look like
  • The stage’s functionality - Explain how it works. What does it do to boats that makes it unique from the other stages
  • Who helped make the stage? - Give us the Roblox usernames of the people who helped as it appears on Roblox (Yes, including you). Do not give us their display name

This is optional, but you could also include photos, videos, and extra details about the stage
This format doesn’t have to be followed but the details being asked of you needs to be there, especially the people who helped.

The Contributor Rank and What to Expect:

If your stage gets added to the game, you will receive the contributor rank and you will be credited at the bottom of the settings tab. There are 2 exceptions to this:

• There are times where you may not get credited for your creations, like when you created something for a seasonal or event update. If this does happen, you will still receive the contributor rank.
  • There are times where you might not have received the contributor rank. This usually happens because you weren’t credited or you weren’t in the Chillz Studio group.

If you believe there was an error or you joined the group after your stage got added, you should contact Waltor Skelesus#3783, zeg#1521, or krig#2032 on Discord.

Credit Info

These are rules that determine who deserves credit and the contributor rank and who doesn’t.

• Don’t take credit for the stage when you didn’t anything to help it.
  • Don’t give credit to someone who didn’t do anything
  • If something that helped the stage look better gets replaced, the person who made it still get credited.
  • If something that didn’t help the stage look good gets deleted, the person who made it isn’t credited.
  • Speak up if you weren’t credited for something you helped with
  • If someone doesn’t want credit, don’t credit them.
  • When a stage is remastered or recreated, the original creators still get credit

When you receive contributor rank, you will also receive an in-game group tag and the power to delete messages on the Chillz Studios Group Wall. There are no in-game perks exclusive to the contributor rank.

The contributor rank can and will be taken away if you are caught abusing it. Do not delete messages in the group wall unless they are scams, links to other experiences / groups, or spam. Do not ask people for robux or promise them perks. As long as you use common sense, you should be able to keep the contributor rank.

Sometimes went a stage gets added, you may notice that a few other people were credited for it. Don’t worry, they are usually given credit for remastering the stage for chillthrill709 so it better suits the game and can be added to the game faster.

Advanced Stage Building Guide:

This is a more in depth guide for those of you who are interested

Choosing a Theme and a Functionality

While in theory you can choose any theme or functionality you want, in practice some themes and functionalities shouldn’t be used. To make choosing easier, I’ll point out some of these that you shouldn’t choose and give you an idea on how to come up with both of these.

Themes

Themes are fairly easy to choose. If you are having difficulties picking one, think of something that inspires you or something you think you are good at making and make a stage out of it. If the first thing you thought of was a functionality, try to think of an appropriate theme that matches that the environment in which the functionality would actually happen.

While coming up with a theme, try to keep this in mind:

• You cannot reference other people’s work. No Piggy stage, Adopt Me stage, game outside of Roblox stage, etc. Using other people’s work as a reference could get you and Build a Boat in trouble.

• You cannot reference tragic events, religious topics, political topics, something directly related to controversial topics like pollution and ozone depletion, or something directly related to war. This is a kids game, please just don’t.

• You should not choose a theme similar to one already existing in the same. For example a Japanese Dojo and Palace. Although they aren’t the same, they and up looking too similar from a design standpoint and one of them (most likely the one that’s not already in the game) will end up getting rejected.

Functionality

People tend to have troubles coming up with a functionality. If you are having troubles coming up with a functionality but you already have a theme, try to think of something related to the theme that can be used to damage boats. If you are still having troubles, think of special abilities the obstacles could have.

While coming up with a functionality, try to keep this in mind:

• Similarly to how you shouldn’t pick a theme too similar to one already in the game, you shouldn’t pick a functionality too similar to the game. There is some leeway here but the more unique the functionality it, the more likely your stage is going to be chosen.

• Don’t pick a functionality that is too complex or insignificant. If your functionality has too many moving parts or is too complex, that might end up eating up too much server performance or will become a nightmare to script. If the functionality is too insignificant, odds are players won’t even notice that the stage was attempting to do something to their boat.

• Don’t pick a functionality that will help the players. Stages are supposed to be challenges for players to overcome. Helping the player is counterinitiative.

Building in the Game’s Art Style:

An Art Style is the way something looks and Build a Boat has a simple to follow art style.

• Form/Shape: The shape of models isn’t necessarily limited. You just aren’t allowed to use a lot of unions and meshes. If you want to make a lot of models that use shapes that requires a union/mesh to be made, that’s where you might start running into issues. Do not use the terrain editor to create stages as this doesn’t fall in line with the art style.

• Color and Texture: The easiest way I found to replicate the colors and texture of this style is change things up in the appearance property
    The only things that can be changed are things that fall in line with the art style. I do not recommend using textures or decals. These tend stray away from the game’s art style. Gradients also isn’t part of the game’s art style so avoid those as well. Remember, when choosing colors, pick vibrant colors.

Setting your Stage’s Difficulty:

When building your stage, your obstacles and the functionality of the stage will determine it’s difficulty. When making the obstacles and deciding the functionality, you need to make sure both of them complement each other in terms of size and difficulty. The stages have 4 difficulty levels that range from Easy to Extreme and the stages in each difficulty has different characteristics.

• Easy Stages: These are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd stage the player encounters. Characteristics shared across these stages are that they have small obstacles, they lack a functionality, and its easy to dodge obstacles with a boat motor.

• Medium Stages: These stages are the 4th, 5th, and 6th stage the player encounters. The functionality of these are insignificant, they don’t directly effect the player or their boat, and/or they do very little damage to the boat. The obstacles in these stages range from small to average sized and give the player a slightly harder time when dodging it

• Hard Stages: These stages are the 7th, 8th, and 9th stage the player encounters. The functionality of these stages attempt to directly damage the boat, slow the boat down, and/or deals splash damage to the boat. The obstacles here range from small to fairly large, they do a lot of damage, and sometimes the obstacles have a functionality that activated when the boat collides with it which causes them to do things that vary from exploding or leaving a lingering area of damage.

• Extreme Stages: This is the 10th stage the player encounters. Functionality or not, these stages devastates what remains of the player’s boat. The obstacles are huge and most of the time impossible to dodge.

Once you pick a functionality, determine what difficulty most resembles that functionality and stick to it. Try to make the obstacle’s abilities (if it has one) and size match with the functionality and vice versa.

Applied Elements and Principles of Art and More

I already touched on some elements when I was discussing the art style but its time to discuss the other elements that are applied and what we are looking for in stages.

• Balance: Balance is the even distribution of weight or things to look at. The stage needs to be balanced on both sides. The balance doesn’t have to be perfectly symmetrical but it does have to be there. Sometimes exceptions can be made, like when there’s an model with emphasis, but most of the time, we want stages to have a sense of balance.

• Emphasis: Emphasis is when a model pops out and grabs the player’s attention. When a model is given emphasis, it needs to make sense, such as when its the centerpiece of the stage or it is related to the functionality of the stage.

• Variety: When creating models to fill the stage, large amounts of repetition can really bring down the quality of the stage. Bringing in some variation to the color scheme of a model that appears often can help prevent the repeating model from becoming eye pain and could add some more colors to the stage.

• Built to be Explored: Stages need to be pleasing to look at from all angles. They need to be built to explore so to speak. This mean you shouldn’t take advantage of the terrain and model placement to hide incomplete details people wont see on their first sighting because people will notice eventually.

• Vibrance: Using vibrant colors can help your stage stand out. Bright colors catches the eye and invokes the feeling of energy. While using vibrant colors, make sure you don’t accidentally give emphasis to models that do not need it or it might end up hurting the stage than helping it.

Making Your Own Path:

While the 2 existing template are helpful, maybe you want to make your own path. Well what if I told you that you could. I do not recommend doing this but if you insist, here are some guides for you

• The river must start and stop on the cave entrance. Boats need to be able to come into and get out of the stage

• The width of the water should constantly remain about 250 studs long. There is some tolerance but if the river is too small, boats will not be able to go through the stage

• If you insist on using changing water elevations, make sure the water level is the same as the water level at the cave entrances and the method used to increase the elevation boats does not involve a ramp

• The path of the water must not obstruct space shared with other stages.

When creating a custom path, I recommend you make it clear which direction the water is flowing since it might not always be obvious.

In theory a path like this could work. I like to call this concept a “Wall Stage”

Other Information

Using Meshes, Unions, Textures, and Decals:

• Using Meshes: While using meshes, I highly advise you not to go overboard. Try to limit the total amount of meshes to 50 and total unique meshes (meshes with different IDs) to 10. If you need to use a mesh and don’t how how to make one, I suggest teaming up with a friend who does know how.

• Using Unions: I do not recommend using unions. If things ever go down to that, I suggest using a mesh instead. If you do not know how to make a mesh, I suggest teaming up with a friend.

• Using Textures, Decals, Pictures: I really do not advise these to ever be used while making stages. Build a Boat’s art style revolves around improvising when the most accurate texture is not available. If possible, try recreating any decals/pictures you want to make out of parts. If you absolutely have to use any of these, try to keep the texture at a low resolution, like 512px by 512px or less.

Force-Loaded Stages:

When stages are Force-Loaded, they will always appear in the same spot regardless of refreshes and difficulty. The First Stage and the End Waterfall are examples of force-loaded stages. Most of the time when new stages are added or holiday stages are reintroduced, they are force-loaded so players can easily find them.

Holiday/Event Stages:

These stages appear once a year in their designated holiday update and are put in storage for the rest of the year. Each year they appear, they give the player a new secret chest. These stages are force-loaded for the duration of it’s appearance, so they will always appear in the same spot regardless of how hard they are or how many times the stages are refreshed. When a holiday themed stage is added, the person who made them often isn’t credited for their work but they still receive the contributor rank.

That’s All I Have for You

One last reminder: I’m not an official developer and that this information doesn’t guarantee that your stage will be added to Build a Boat.

Get Building and Good Luck!