[Building templates are difficult] Add an offline version of Packages, aka. Prefabs, to have Packages locally for an experience only

Studio and Engine feature I guess. But Studio. Basically any new Service and etc. is Engine, so Studio is a better category.

Prefabs is mostly a term in Unity. I don’t really use Unity. I used it once so.

But it’s basically a reference of a template. A template can be anything, like a prefabrication of Parts. That you copy paste. But you don’t copy it rawly, you copy only a reference. And the Prefab renders and visualizes the original template, to the reference’s location.

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to build with original Packages

I liked looking at the Alpha Strike documentation, like here Building Architecture | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

While there’s a bunch of unknown things or tools that they may have used that I have no clue about, like the decals placement.

A major thing they used were Packages.

But I was looking for a local feature. Why? well… a preference.
But I feel like not using Packages because my inventory would get spammed if I’d be creating a package for everything. Plus, I have NO WAY to delete a package or overwrite it.

If I Package a Part, I can’t undo it. I need to let it rot in the inventory and create a new Package, if I ever wanted to put the Part inside a Model Class.

If it would be possible to locally create “Prefabs”, aka. a Template and you copy something that is linked to the Template and fabricates like the Template. It will contain everything the Template has.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because

• It would be faster
  • It let’s me have “Prefabs” specifically only for a specific game.
  • I don’t have to spam Roblox services.
  • It let’s me test how the actual Package would look like, if I ever decide to upload a Model as a Package.
  • Could simplify placing Models through scripts, but then there should be a function to unlink the local Package.

I know that the original Packages have Version. Though I it is fine if the local one, doesn’t have Versions.

But this would simplify everything. Placing doors and visualize them at the same time.

Roblox is not Source SDK.

With plugins, I can only get this far
And no, I haven’t found a plugin. This just an example.

Plugins could copy paste things and etc. but it would be catastrophic. A built in feature sounds more stable.

With local Packages or “Prefabs”. I imagine it to be possible to place a Prefab and visualize its position at the same time.

It’s basically Packages but not uploaded.

Just don’t make Roblox Studio crash when a local package is referencing another local package and trying to infinitely update eachother, idk.

7 Likes