Bulk importing OBJ to Studio resets UV coordinates

This isn’t in the bug report section because I don’t have access to it.

I’ve been having this problem for about a week now and I haven’t seen many reports on this problem here so I’m just going to post about it. About a week ago when I tried to bulk import a model with textures it only showed a solid colour on the mesh. Even after putting different images as the textures in Studio the problem still persisted. I’m fairly certain it’s a problem with ROBLOX messing up the UV maps in .obj files when bulk importing. All of my friends that also use bulk import have the exact same problem.

This problem is only found in .obj meshes that are imported using the Asset Manager (Bulk Import). .fbx meshes work fine but in my situation I have to use .obj so I don’t have any alternate solutions to this problem. I also can’t use meshparts to solve this problem because I have to import a lot of meshes
which would take too long doing it one by one.

I have an obj file that I imported a month ago that has textures on every mesh. (it was imported using Bulk Import)

And here is the exact same mesh imported using Bulk Import today (the obj and mtl files were untouched since the last import)

As you can see the meshes are all solid colours even though they all have TextureID’s attached to them in their properties.

For now I’ll single out this one mesh that was part of the import

This is the same mesh except I imported it last month

If I go to the page for the image texture on the new mesh you can see that the texture imported fine

I decided to export the single mesh that I just examined from Studio as an obj file. I then opened the obj file with Notepad++ to check the texture coordinates and like I guessed, they were all 0, 0
brokenuvtext

I then opened the obj file that I used to import the mesh into Studio. Everything looked normal.

So it’s confirmed that the problem is the bulk import system resetting UV coordinates on import.

I hope someone has a solution to this problem or someone can alert ROBLOX about this because it seems like this is under their radar and is messing up many people’s projects.

18 Likes

Yeah i’ve been having the same issue for a few days now, i thought it was on my end but thankfully it isn’t. hope this gets fixed soon as bulk importing like this saves loads of time.

4 Likes

wonder if any of the UGC guys know some work around to this, they might not since it might only be one mesh.

3 Likes

it should just work fine but for some reason it broke a few days ago

4 Likes

Still nothing has happened towards this problem, seems like they don’t know about it

1 Like

suppose we’ll just keep bumping this then as theres no way for us to post this under bug reports and the support form just gave me an automated response thinking it was a suggestion to add a new feature.

2 Likes

bumping this issue, it’s EXTREMELY annoying I just want to use my normal mapped panel gaps and taillight/headlight lenses for the Scion XB and the UV’s keep resetting EVERY TIME.

2 Likes

hey look! Roblox, or at least someone in Developer Relations, actually responded to this bug Importing .OBJ meshes no longer respects UV coordinates - #4 by EmilyBendsSpace

we might have some hope for this bug to be fixed soon at long last

i hope so
i’ve had to stop my entire project for a few weeks now

my god that reply was 13 days ago

its alarming that a issue like this exists, and roblox has yet to do anythiing to help remedy it.
hopefully it gets remedied soon

I am also having this issue the UVs work in other software but importing it into studio breaks the UVs I really hope this gets resolved, this literally stops me from doing work in studio completely.

Going to try and reinstall the software and hope that magically fixes this issue…
update: :frowning: didn’t work :sob:

1 Like

FYI, I’ll be posting some updates on the issue here shortly: Importing .OBJ meshes no longer respects UV coordinates - #7 by Phirsts

Unfortunately I don’t have a fix yet.

1 Like