Bullet Raycasting having an unusual offset when shooting at the skybox

I’ve been searching for a way how to fix this all day, i’m going to try my best to explain what is going on.
So I’ve made a gun that shoots a bullet, it works fine when shooting at the sky + when shooting at a part. I decided to give the bullets a spread so they don’t go right to your mouse.
The bullet spread works perfectly fine when shooting at a part but when shooting at the sky it has offset issues, the bullet trace doesn’t connect to the gun and starts going all over the place.

Here is my code: ```

local ray = Ray.new(gun.Point.CFrame.p, (mouse.Hit.p - gun.Point.CFrame.p).unit * 600)
	local part, position = game.Workspace:FindPartOnRay(ray, player.Character, false, true)

local beam = Instance.new("Part", workspace)
	beam.BrickColor = BrickColor.new("Bright yellow")
	beam.FormFactor = "Custom"
	beam.Material = "Neon"
	beam.Transparency = 0
	beam.Anchored = true
	beam.Locked = true
	beam.CanCollide = false

local distance = (gun.Point.CFrame.p - position).magnitude
	beam.Size = Vector3.new(0.1, 0.1, distance)
	local Spread = 1.25

local Direction = (CFrame.new(gun.Point.CFrame.p,mouse.Hit.p) * CFrame.new(0, 0, -distance / 2) * CFrame.Angles(math.rad(-Spread+(math.random()*(Spread*2))),math.rad(-Spread+(math.random()*(Spread*2))),0))
	beam.CFrame = Direction
	game:GetService("Debris"):AddItem(beam, 0.1)```

gif of what im talking about:
https://gyazo.com/12c4de7b42800c082ec61f237a6298c4

Thanks in advance to anybody who helps me

1 Like

When you defined Direction, you used mouse.Hit.p for the end position of the CFrame instead of the position from the raycast. This causes the weird offset because mouse.Hit.p isn’t the same as the returned position from the raycast and you used position to get the distance instead of mouse.Hit.p. Change: CFrame.new(gun.Point.CFrame.p,mouse.Hit.p) to CFrame.new(gun.Point.CFrame.p,position)

1 Like

Also the fake spread with CFrame.Angles might be messing with the position.

1 Like

After testing Fezezen’s solution I found that it didn’t work, even without fake spread. This issue has been around forever and I don’t think there’s a fix on the devforum.

Basically I think it’s because the bullet doesn’t have enough “range” to actually get to the place where the mouse’s world position is.

1 Like

Meanwhile

1 Like

This is the code I use for raycasting in this video

local p = self.head.Position
local x = random(0,1)
if x == 0 then 
	x = -1
end
local y = random(0,1)
if y == 0 then 
	y = -1
end

local dir = CF(p,self.mouse.Hit.p) * CFAngles(rad(random()*self.spread*x),rad(random()*self.spread*y),0)
local ray = raynew(p,dir.lookVector*999)
local hit,pos,normal = raycast(workspace,ray,{self.character})

local beam = b:Clone()
local dis = (self.muzzle.Position-pos).Magnitude
beam.CFrame = CF(self.muzzle.Position,pos)*CF(0,0,-dis/2)
beam.Size = Vec3(.05,.05,dis)
beam.Parent = self.model
game.Debris:AddItem(beam,.1)
3 Likes