Button to disable terrain LOD in studio

As a developer it is hard to develop terrain when I can’t see what it actually looks like unless I physically walk up to it. e.g. I just spent 30 mins trying to fix the bug in my terrain code but there wasn’t actually a bug - the terrain was just not appearing because I was too far away.

29 Likes

Agreed, it should be on by default but able to be toggled off. Also, toggle able LOD models for user meshes would be pretty useful.

2 Likes

Heck, I’d like to see disabling terrain LOD in-game, or at least some more options for it. Would be great if you could make the LOD stronger so you can have even bigger maps or make it weaker so you can see all of the detail in a game.

But yeah, I do support this. It’s not really annoying for me, but it is nice to be able to see everything in detail.

3 Likes

There was a poll done in 2016 on the topic of LOD but so far I don’t see anything being done in regards to that. Ideally speaking, something like this is implemented, but for lack of any public notion on that I have decided to make this request for a studio-specific option for the purpose of getting screenshots, since I at least want to be able to present my game in full quality for things like thumbnails or a portfolio of my work.

I’ve taken an image of my game as an example. Pictured is a large volcanic mountain in the distance, as well as a floating island in the sky (ignore the three cubes, those are placeholders for use in development). As you can see, the quality is unsatisfactory.

If I were able to force LOD level 0 (Maximum quality), this issue would be resolved.

Click to see the image of my game

I definitely support this idea.

3 Likes