Buying groups is against Roblox rules?

I’ve been wondering what to do with my Robux and wondering on buying a group, but I’m not sure if it’s against Roblox TOS.

2 Likes

Yes, it is against the tos if you sell a group for USD or robux.
Screenshot_7

3 Likes

Hello, @vayouls, yes ROBLOX TOS doesn’t allow you to buy/trade/sell any groups but as you can see a lot of persons buy/sell large groups. And, for that ROBLOX can’t do anything since all deals are done on discord.

1 Like

Sorry for replying to a 1 year old thread. But just so you don’t tell anyone this exact thing let me explain.

You are allowed to sell groups on Roblox. Basically what this is telling you as that you cannot sell Robux, Game Codes, Games, or limited with USD, or any real world currency. You are allowed to sell groups as long as it’s not being bought through a RWC and instead with “Robux”.

The reason this rule was put in place because it basically bypasses “DevEx” so you make more money. Which ruins the economy on Roblox. DevEx takes a certain amount of Robux in forward for money because that is what keeps Roblox running. But when you just take the money for yourself it causes a big problem.

10 Likes

You’re kinda wrong there I spoke to a roblox mod like a year ago, he did say it violates the ToS, but considering it was a year ago it could change so I can’t entirely say what so

No? It violates the TOS if you try to buy the group using real money instead of Robux.

1 Like

Selling groups has always been considered as a violation of the Terms of Use by Roblox. This was previously stated explicitly as a pinned post on the old Clans forum (in part why it’s one of the most well-known undocumented rules).

2 Likes

I don’t understand why selling groups on platform with Robux is not allowed. I assumed that since you payed R$100 upon creation of your group you fully owned it and could sell it if done on the platform with Robux. Can you explain your reasoning?

Also can I know the exact line in the TOS that bans the selling of groups? Thanks.

Exactly. If there is no specific rule in the community guidelines that bans selling groups with Robux (which you can do anyways for free if you have premium and find an empty group)

There wouldn’t be a Ownership Transfer system if you weren’t allowed to use it.

And @Automationeer Rules change. Roblox has removed a bunch of rules before. You can’t use archived forums as evidence as they can be changed over time, or changed by archive administrators. Archived forums are just not as trustworthy.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the Ownership Transfer System is for your alt accounts if your main account got banned. That’s why these groups have accounts called ‘[Group_Name]Holder’ that own them. It is against ROBLOX TOC to ‘trade’ and this refers to groups. And it was said before, that selling a group with any currency even if it was for free was always considered violating the TOC.